iMac c2d 24" BTO - How best to migrate

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GlynJones, Feb 3, 2007.

1. GlynJones macrumors 6502

Well after 3 months of various different ideas for upgrading from my Powermac G5 Dual 2.0 and Powerbook G4 12" I've gone back to my original plan and ordered an iMac c2d 24" BTO with upgraded Graphics (7600 256mb), 2gb of memory and a 500gb hard drive. The Powerbook upgrade will have to wait as I'd really like a 13" Macbook Pro if they ever release one.

Anyway my question is, what is the best way to migrate from my Powermac to my iMac? The reason I ask is that I normally keep the Powermac and Powerbook in sync by doing a software install on the Powerbook and then migrating the software and personal details from the Powermac (in Target Disk Mode).

I'm not sure if I can do the same with the iMac, as I'm worried that I'll end up overwriting Universal Binaries with PPC versions. Is this correct or am I worrying over nothing? I'd still like to keep the Powerbook in sync this way.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

One of the first things your new iMac will ask you is if you want to use Migration Assistant to migrate from your old machine. Yes you do.

3. Sensfan67 macrumors member

mind you, you'll need a firewire to firewire cord for that.

4. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I was in a similar situation as you. I used the Migration Assistant -- which you can do at anytime -- and it worked great. The Universal Binaries were not superceded by the Power PC apps when I migrated.

One caveat. I like to use the same username on all of my machines. Migration Assistant does not like that. I recommend that when you first get your new iMac to create an Admin account to do basic computer setup, then when you use the Migration Assistant it will import your user account from the older Mac. You will end up with the Admin account plus your user account(s) when complete. You cannot use the same names and identifiers for the Admin account and the newly migrated accounts.

I hope that makes sense. :eek:

5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Huh? The migration assistant should prompt you to transfer a user before you ever setup a user account on the computer. It will say "Do you want to transfer user accounts, etc... from another computer?" When you say yes, it will transfer your Admin account from the older computer onto the new one and automatically make it the admin account.

6. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

I didn't setup with migration assistant right out of the box. I did it later. As I said, you don't have to use migration assistant right away. You can use it at any time. In which case, you cannont have the same username transferred as on the new machine.

7. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Looks like it's the migration assistant then.

It's just been dispatch :D :apple: :D . Anyone know where BTO iMac are put together for us people in the UK? The tracking is not on TNT's system yet so I can't find out yet.

8. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

China like everyone elses

9. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

:(

Now at the transit point in Shanghai. Anyone know how long it usually takes to get to the UK from there? Estimate says a week but I’m hoping it's not that long. Anyone got any experiences of this?

Thanks.

10. lindstrom macrumors member

My last Powerbook from China was delivered to Sweden on the fifth business day after I got the dispatch notice.

The waiting is horrendous ;) !

11. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

Tell me about it :( .

I've decommissioned my Powermac ready to put on eBay. Currently running on my Powerbook G4 12".

The wait is killing me.

12. wazgilbert macrumors regular

For the un-initiated - what is a "BTO" imac?

13. GlynJones thread starter macrumors 6502

14. wazgilbert macrumors regular