iMac Caveat

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chevywhatever, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Are you sure you REALLY want one of the first 2012 iMacs to roll off the line?
    As a mechanical engineer with almost 30 yrs experience, and considering the mfg. problem delays, I'm hesitant.
    :cool:

2. macrumors newbie

I do, I do, I do, I do, infinity I do

3. macrumors member

clip clop, clip clop, clip clop...

(sound of Billy Goats Gruff on their way to the bridge under which lives the fearsome TROLL).

4. macrumors regular

Does anyone know for certain what the manufacture problem actually was?

5. macrumors regular

WrrN

As a digital art pro awaiting a new iMac to replace an aging Apple product, I can understand your tentative approach. Admittedly, your post has cast a tinge of doubt in my head. I'm diving in head first with blind trust that all will work. If I'm hit with a significant iMac problem, my lacking backup plan would be to temporarily revert to old technology, which is not a pleasant thought. However, I've come to trust the Mac line. I imagine there are many other business users like me. I place my trust in Apple's QA department.

6. macrumors 6502

We don't even know for certain that there ARE/WERE any manufacturing problems. Only the rumor mill says there have been problems.

Apple originally announced the new iMac to be shipped in November (for the 21.5") and in December (for the 27"). As far as we know, both flavors are still on schedule.

If November passes without the first 21.5" models shipping, then we'll know there's a delay.

7. macrumors regular

I'm an astronaut with extensive knowledge in the fields of Kung Fu and anthropology. My work for several secret societies has led me to believe, that Apple will replace faulty products within a period described as "warranty". Other sources claim that the new iMacs will require gorilla blood to function properly, but I'm not supposed to talk about this.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh,... ha! Nope, no troll. Yikes!

Actually I've been waiting patiently since March when I decided to convert my world to Mac. I guess I'm not getting off to a very good start with Apple. My concern is with the new screen lamination since it's an all-in-one. Maybe I'll wait for you guys to get the first ones and I'll order in Jan. And, of course, there is warranty.

In my book, 569 days between destop products is a delay. I can't help thinking that Apple is missing out on business opportunity by not keeping up with their desktop line. But that's another discussion!

Jim W.

9. macrumors 68000

You take a chance every time you buy a rev A product, and that doesn't only apply to computers. But the risk is mitigated by the warranty, especially if you purchase AppleCare or your credit card doubles the manufacturer's warranty. But if you want to wait to see if early adopters have problems with the 2012 iMacs, ordering in January probably won't help - it'll probably take more time & sales before any systemic defects hit the radar.

10. macrumors regular

My worst experiences have always concerned new software, not hardware. But we shall see! I did have a small panic about rushing in for the new iMac (after reading this forum!) but have since calmed myself back down :D

11. macrumors 6502a

Johnf1285

This forum is a great place for causing panic lol !

12. macrumors 6502a

I'll buy Apple Care which is cheap with a student discount, then it becomes Apple's problem like it should be. But yes, I have some amount of concern it won't be perfect.

13. macrumors member

I agree with waiting for a little bit. But my reason maybe a little different than others.

I am planning to get a NEW 27" IMAC [if they ever come out] and use Bootcamp or Parallels Desktop® 8 for Gamming.
    I work with Photoshop, and Adobe Premier, After Effects and I play WoW on MAC and Star Wars Old Republic and other PC only games. I have a Synology DS212+ NAS for Data and Backup.

Going with:
    27" 3.4GHz quad-core Intel core I7 with 8MB L3 cache
    8GB Ram, Upgrade to 32GB 1600MHz DDR3 from OWC or Crucial
    1TB 7200rpm Fusion Drive, or 768GB SSD with an External Thunderbolt Drive.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX Graphic processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory
    AppleCare Protection Plan
    Samsung SE-506AB Slim Portable Blu-ray Writer

Choices of drive 768GB SSD, 1T or 3T Fusion HHD, 1T or 3T HDD

The problem is with Bootcamp you need to partition your drive. You don't need a whole new drive. (Note - 3TB drives can't currently be partitioned for Bootcamp.) and I rather use Bootcamp. I am confused as to what Drive setup I should get?

Now we get to the reason why I might wait before I get my Imac. Maybe OWC has looked into doing Turnkey with the New Imac's and Install Larger SSD [256GB or 512GB with a fast 1T HDD or 4T] with or without the Fusion part? Not knowing if the IMAC 27" Drive bay will even accept them? Here’s Hoping.

Apple may even fix Bootcamp to work with 3T HDD and Fusion 3T. But would be even better is for them to give upgrades of 256GB or 512GB ssd with the Fusion Drive. So this is the reason I might wait.

14. macrumors demi-god

johnnyturbouk

why not install win 8 over usb3 or thunderbolt to a ssd/7200 drive.

15. macrumors member

From what I have seen, you need to install Windows to an Internal HDD or SSD only.

This a Quote from the Bootcamp Manual.
    "Creating a Partition for Windows
    Boot Camp Assistant helps you create a new partition for Windows on an internal disk.
    The assistant dynamically partitions your startup disk, creating a new partition for
    Windows without erasing your existing Mac OS X system. If you have a computer with
    multiple internal disks, you can create a second partition on any of those disks or use
    an entire disk for Windows. See “Creating a Partition on a Computer with Multiple
    Internal Disks”"

"Boot Camp Assistant works only with internal disks. You cannot use Boot Camp Assistant to partition and install Windows on an external disk. "

Also I don't think you can load to an External Disk. Also I understand that it won't work on 3T Fusion internal either.

I want to know if Bootcamp will work on the New 768 SSD of the New Imacs??

16. macrumors member

17. macrumors member

If I wasn't so happy with the way Windows 7 is running on a second monitor via parallels I wouldn't mind having one of those next to me 21.5" iMac!!

I'm amazed that this product has made it to market! Surely Apple must be using its Chinese resources to sue the hell out of the makers!!