Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
Hey I'm looking to get the new Imac but i cant decide between the 800mhz or the 700mhz systems. I dont really do alot of video editing so I could care less about the super drive and plus the super drive reads cd's at only 24x which is a lil slow for my standards. Also if im already going for the 700mhz iMAC should i just get the 733 tower thats on blowout sales right now?
I'd love to hear your opinions.

Dualburn001

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
If you visit this site regulary and read the post carefully, you may see this very often...

"IT DEPENDS OF WHAT YOU ARE GONNA DO"

If you want a computer for speed get an iMac, if you are gonna use PCI slots get the tower. As you are not doing video editing and may be no audio post production, you won't need the PCI slots. Besides you can fine now very good consumers and audio interfaces in Firewire and USB versions.

About the CD roms: 12X still above average, the industry wont produce a 4x or 12x cd-roms because not many people have such speed, so that is not an issue at the time of getting a computer.

I would take the iMac of course, you have more horse power, the super drive (to make large back ups in DVD's) and the enclosure is so atractive that can be sold in a year or two in a better price than a tower. Remember you are getting a cosmetic value this time.

stoid

macrumors 601
I have a G4 Quicksilver, and it knocks the pants off of any iMac out there, at least when it comes to anything pro. If you only want to word process or surf the net get a low end mac, but if you want to do anything more powerful than that get the Tower. Also, if you want to be able to upgrade at all get the Tower..

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
I reccomend iMac

Save yourself some money and time by getting the 700MHz iMac.

It sounds like it has all of what you need.

As for "mymemory" and his Cd-rom speeds... he must be talking about the burn speeds. That's the only way you can make sense of what he is saying. Plus, the iMac isn't for "speed", but it's definitely simpler.

The towers are far more powerful and expandable, but you don't get monitor with it so if you don't have one already, you'll have to buy one. You have a choice of monitors and they don't have to be Flat Panels or Apple.

The motherboards and sub systems make the PowerMacs much more powerful and FASTER than the iMacs.

I have an 800MHz iMac and I love it, and unlike you, I will be burning DVDs on it, so I'm happy.

Take care,
Quark:)

dualburn001

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 21, 2002
adobe

if i get the 700mhz imac and put 512mb-784mb of ram into it would i run adobe applications like photshop, indesign fast or if im gonna do adobe stuff i should go for the tower?

dualburn001

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
If you are going to be running professional/design applications, then you probably want to get the tower. You get more then just some extra speed with the tower, you also get an extra memory slot (PC133 standard chip, not the ones for laptops and such). Plus there are the extra drive bays (can install up to four half-height drives inside the box).

There are also other considerations, like future upgrades to consider. If you know you will be happy with the 700MHz iMac, then by all means go for it. If you are considering getting something faster, then I would go with the tower. With the tower you have more upgrade options. You can change the video card, increase memory amounts, add or change hard drives, as well as adding Zip or Jaz drives inside the box. Then there is the ever so popular (is that the right word :)) processor upgrade. I did all but the processor upgrade to my current G4 tower, and have been happy with it. I am selling it so that I am ready for when the next generation comes out, or they release something at MWNY that I can't live without.

You WILL spend more $$ on the tower, there are no two ways about it, BUT you will probably have a system that you will be more then happy with for a longer time frame. Now, before people start slamming me for saying this, there are many people with the rev a iMac that have upgraded different parts and are still very happy with it. The difference is that the current version of the iMac doesn't give you as many options.

At this point, I intend to get a new Mac every three years. That is one tower and one laptop (they will be anywhere from one to two years apart since I still have two years left on my current TiBook and will be getting a new tower sometime this year or before the end of January next year.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
just a note:
if you're talking about initially upgrading the ram, you might want to look at how much the dumb SoDIMM (??) ram of the imac costs in comarison to the G4's PC133. and wait a month or two as ram prices are pretty high right now

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Agreed macfreek57, considering how Apple gets about $300 for the same chip that you can find elsewhere for about $175-$200. I don't know what they get for the SoDimm that goes into the current G4 PowerBook that is the low profile model, but I picked one up for just under $210. They also charge $30 to install it, and won't take it back unless they install it (not nice).

Memory prices are still fluctuating at this time, but it seems to have gotten to be less of a change. From what I understand, prices are probably going to stay around where they are for some time to come. We won't really know until the price either goes up or down. I know we all pray for it to go down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.