iMac clock problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by I'mAMac, Nov 15, 2006.

1. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Whenever I switch from XP back to OS X the clock on OS X is always way off. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it?

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I, and others, have this problem. Every time i have to press the clock and click 'open date and time'

3. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

Perhaps it's a bug with bootcamp, I would try out the new version that was just released a few days ago.

4. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

windows has legacy with dos, which keeps time in an incompatible way with linux and osx, you need to search this sight or osxhints.com, yourll find examples of solutions, i think i made a comment on one a little while ago so you could start by searching my previous comments

5. capran macrumors member

It has to do with the way Windows and Mac OS X (as well as Linux) store and retrieve the system's realtime clock.

Windows expects it to be stored in local time.

Mac OS X (and Linux) by default expect it to be stored in UTC (otherwise known as Greenwich Meantime, or Zulu time.)

You can change the behavior with Linux in the /etc directory by changing some config files. I don't know how to do this on OS X.

So, basically what will happen is this:

Say you're in the EST when you set your clock in OS X. You reboot into Windows XP. It thinks the realtime clock is local, so it thinks the time is 5 hours earlier than it really is. You set the clock. You then reboot, and now your OS X clock is wrong.

6. I'mAMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

To get the new version do i have to re-partition and reinstall everything? Or is there a driver or and apple update that I can get? Thanks.

7. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I'm not sure (I don't have an intel mac) but I think you can just install the updated drivers. But now seeing what everyone's said I doubt it will work because of the differences in the time keeping, but you can always try it.

8. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

like i said check on osxhints.com or on my previous posts, i have explained to someone already