iMac CPU fan at full speed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Ken Li, Nov 9, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Here is my situation and story. I am fixing an iMac A1225. After replacing the logic board. everything else seems working fine except the CPU fan is running at full speed. I tried everything but nothing worked.

Attachment is the report of all sensors & fans. It seems all sensors are normal but only CPU fan is running like crazy.

Anyone has any idea about it?

Thanks for helping me.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 6502a

Transeau

3. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If all the hardware is connected and functioning properly, try resetting the SMC.

4. macrumors 6502

chevalier433

run a hardware test

5. macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

reseat all cables, sounds like something is either not seated correctly or possibly bad logicboard connector. if you have access to ASD or AST you should be able to pinpoint the problem a bit better if reseating doesnt cure it.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

As the report shows, all sensor were detected and the readings are normal. I have checked all cable connections times, but they seemed normal.

----------

That's something I am not able to do. Because the iMac is running windows.

----------

Had tried 4-5 times. It doesn't work

7. macrumors 6502a

Transeau

The Mac EFI will no report that a sensor is present, when a sensor is not present. In other words, if the LCD sensor isn't attached, or the wire has been damaged, the system simply will not show that it exists.

That said, the only reason that the iMac would run one of it fans at 100% is when it is unable to detect and/or use one of the sensors tied to that fan.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Will try that. Thank you very much.

9. hawaiitek, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013

macrumors newbie

hawaiitek

Did you find a Conclusion? Figure out why the fan is running at full throttle?

Did you figure out what the problem was? Its got to be something simple.

I'm dealing with the same problem with my A1225.

The original logic board was dead. So I replaced it and the system booted, but CPU fan ran at full throttle after about 5-10 seconds after system turned on. Everything was plugged in fine. (CPU is not overheating)
    Then, I replaced that logic board with another one. Same issue, cpu fan running at full throttle. WHAT IS THE DEAL?

UPDATE: Fixed it. Solved. It was the front panel sensor at the top of the IMAC next to the webcam. It was plugged in to the connector backwards, or it wasn't connected in all the way. I also replaced the thermal compound on the gpu. Running quiet as ever now.

[/I]