iMac CRT Monitor fades in and out

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by fredimac, Mar 11, 2004.

1. fredimac macrumors newbie

Dec 17, 2003
    I'm looking at my friends iMac (I belive it's a graphite) and the monitor fades in / out. When hooked up to an external monitor, the picture is fine.

Any recommendations as to how to fix this? Loose cable? Failing CRT?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    Sounds like a failing CRT display to me. They are all kinds of fun to change in any CRT iMac. (Being sarcastic there!) You can either try and find a new/used display somewhere and install it yourself (be careful...CRTs can shock the piss out of you even though there isn't any power going to them, unless its been discharged). You can also continue to use the external display, or you can scrap the whole iMac. If you do decide to scrap the whole iMac I would sell it on eBay and just say it needs a display, or this is a good machine for parts. I'm pretty sure it would sell. You can also take it all apart and sell the parts separately on eBay.

Just some options...
  3. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    i've seen some iMacs sold on ebay with the CRT's failing
    you can also buy a new CRT on ebay too

4. onemoof macrumors member

Jul 23, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
    Stick with an external display to save money, and you get a bigger screen size/more options anyway. My iMac monitor died after about 3 years, they are very lousy, so I just used an external. You could rip open your computer and check the internal monitor plug if that's the problem.