iMac Crucial Ram upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nchu429, Feb 7, 2007.

1. nchu429 macrumors newbie

I'm interested in upgrading my stock 1gb ram on my 20" C2D iMac.

When you search for memory on the crucial website based on which computer you have you get the following:

1gb for iMac Core Duo 17" 1.83ghz for $98.99
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=AC1F2DC1A5CA7304

but under the 1gb for the 20" C2D 2.16ghz its $109.99
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=E015D46DA5CA7304

the pricing difference maybe because of the select 10% deal crucial has on some memory sticks, but I would like to know if there are really the same memory stick. Could I use the memory first link for my 20" C2D without any problems.?

With the discounts I was even thinking of getting the 2GB (2x1gb) kit for about $215 with tax and shipping
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=4FAA45B8A5CA7304

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

This is exactly why I refuse to buy from Crucial anymore. Yes, the RAM appears to be the same, but Crucial quotes you different prices depending on what type of machine you tell them you have. It's one of several unethical pricing schemes they've engaged in in recent years.

I buy my RAM from OWC and DMS.

3. nchu429 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks.

is it the techworks brand at OWC that you recommend or the OWC brand itself?

in regards to my orginal post, would the memory recommened for the 17" iMac be fine on my 20" C2D?

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The OWC brand is fine...that's what I usually use. They provide a lifetime warranty on it, so you're covered if anything goes wrong.

And yes, any of the Crucial sticks linked in your original post will work in your iMac.

5. segfaultdotorg macrumors regular

On a similar note, does anyone know why the C2D iMacs will accept only one 2 GB stick of RAM? Will a 2 GB stick not fit in the second slot? (My interest in this is purely academic, as 2 x 2 GB SO-DIMMs would presently cost nearly as much as the computer...)

I have the base model with 1 GB and running Parallels plus a few other apps seems to bog it down. I assume that upgrading to 2 GB total would probably solve that problem. Any comments?

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The chipset can only recognize 3 GB of RAM.

7. segfaultdotorg macrumors regular

Thanks for the heads-up. I remember that some of the G3 iMacs were limited to 384 at first, but as denser RAM became available, it went up to 640 or 728 (unsupported, but the machines would recognize it)... Guess that won't be the case here.

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yep...in fact, many PC vendors will let you configure machines using that chipset with 4 GB of RAM, not telling you that it won't be able to see all of it. This issue will be resolved when the Santa Rosa platform comes out...soon.