iMac decision--graphics card on 17" vs 20", portability?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fitinferno, Sep 15, 2006.

1. fitinferno macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Ah, I know there's been many threads about iMac decisions, but I've yet to find many w/this particular concern.

I've pretty much decided that, yes, I want an iMac. I'm coming from a Powerbook G4 12" (which breaks my heart to give up, but alas, it must be done). But I'm still debating between the 17" vs the 20."

The 17" has all the features I want except for the graphics upgradability. However, based off of all the research I have done on this, it seems most people say the 20" is better anyways.

Is the 20" very different in terms of portability? Say, if I want to move from one flat to another across town, how much worse off am I? Also, is the graphics card on the 20" w/256mb noticably different than the 128mb one on the 17"? (After all, there is more screen on the 20" the graphics card has to work for so I had been figuring it may not be too big a difference).

I want to play games like Civ4, Sims2 and I also am going to be using aperture with raw format from a D70s.
  2. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Sep 28, 2004

I would say go 20" its doesn't add that much bulk when moving. Its not as if you will be movin git ever week and the exra wieght/dimensions will make a constant impact on your life. Plus, the screen size is worth it.

As for the GPU, go larger now cause you can't upgrade it later.

i wish we called Apartments in the US "Flats". I think i will try adopting that and see if it catches on.
  3. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    Thanks...this is what I'm leaning towards...just was curious to see what others thought since the whole graphics thing seems to be so hotly debated. (Many, many threads compared 20" w/128mb to 256mb...and whether or not it was better I think really depended on what the person replying uses :rolleyes:)

Hehe, and you should try adopting the word flat! If only for the reason that it makes it much easier for the distinction of roommate/flatmate. When I watch shows like Friends and the such, all the flatmates are roommates...which is weird, cuz they're sharing the flat not the
  4. nchu429 macrumors newbie

Aug 14, 2006
    how much improvement is the 256mb over the 128mb for the gpu? would photoshop have a major noticeable difference.
  5. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    I doubt it
  6. fitinferno thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 7, 2005
    London, UK
    After looking this up, I can say that I've noticed there's a few people who have this response becasue they argue that the x1600 is a mid-range chip. Thus, the x1600 will probably not utilise the 256mb as effeciently as a high-range chip and that is why you will not see too much a difference. But nobody has any idea of proof of this or where to get some graphics card benchmarks...kinda frustrating. Basically, a lot of what the graphics card goes on seems to be opinion.

It's hard singling out one item on the machine when they all work together to form the whole thing...but...

(PS to clevin, i'm in no way trying to imply that that is your reasoning for the doubt, it's an example)