Imac = Desklamp

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Rockridge, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Rockridge macrumors newbie

Feb 23, 2002
    Sorry... i just don't see it... it looks like a reject from Star Trek... the old one.

If Apple wants me to buy a new Mac... they need to release a G5 tower that clocks at 4 gig.
    That may be the only move that will save them.

$1800 for a machine that can't be expanded internally.

Buyers for the new iMac may find that they'll regret it within a year.
  2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

Nov 4, 2001
    Whats this? GoCyrus2?

Sorry, the iMac to me is a great looking piece of design, it may look slightly like a lamp but I like it, I don't know my 1 year owners would regret it.

3. Tommy! macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2001
    im sure apple would release a computer with a 4gig g5 if the chip existed...

iMacs are not made for people who wish to expand their computer down the road with extra hard drives, or newer graphics cards. That's what allows iMacs to be so compact. Besides, most people don't add that stuff anyway. Many people add ram, and that's a snap with the iMac.

As far as the imacs 1800$ price tag goes, that's for the most expensive model. A similarly equipped Dell, with a 15" LCD and DVD-R drive is $2200+.
  4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Re: Imac = Desklamp

From what? Total annihilation?

Right... :rolleyes:
  5. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida

Save them from what? Dude, they have over 4 billion dollars in cash reserve and almost no debt! They had the best performing tech stock in 99, and have turned a profit in 19 of the last 20 quarters! How are they in trouble? Please enlighten me, this I cannot wait to hear.
  6. macktheknife macrumors 6502a

Jan 24, 2002
    It looks quite nice to me

"It looks like a lamp"--the most common "complaint" I have heard from those who have seen the pictures of the new iMac. However, when you actually see it in real life, it looks anything but a lamp. You won't even see the neck behind the screen. In fact, one of the most admirable qualities of the iMac is its movable LCD screen. I can see how this design alone will save people *alot* of neck and back pain.

Lack of upgradeability is an issue, but like another post noted, iMacs are designed to be an all-purpose consumer computer. Pros who want a longer and more flexible upgrade path can go with the towers.

At this stage, Apple is quite a profitable company, and the enthusiastic demand for the iMac will only translate into better numbers for the bottom line. True, that 4% market share isn't much to brag about, but Apple (and companies in general) should not foolishly try to expand market share without any realistic chance of future profitability. Apple could start *giving* their iMacs away for about $1,000, watch its market share jump by 10% or so, and go bankrupt within a year.

Nevertheless, beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder, so some people will--justifiably--have some issues with the new iMacs. So let us not exhibit poor taste by flaming or shouting down everyone who expresses a negative opinion on Apple and its products.
  7. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    This is ridiculous!

Before we start another flame war, let me just say that the iMac G4 is the most anticipated item that Apple has developed. At San Fransisco in Jan. Steve Jobs unveiled a new Apple product, that came as a result of the three most wanted items in a new computer:
    (1) A Flat Screen
    (2) A G4
    (3) A Superdrive
    Jobs also said that he let the iMac shape be the way it wanted to be. In other words, Apple came up with the best possible enclousure for the way this product was designed. (Reference: Steve Jobs at MWSF Keynote over live Quicktime Streaming). In this design Apple managed to create the iMac with these external features:
    (1) All the ports can easily be accessed.
    (2) The monitor can be adjusted in a wide variety of fashions.
    (3) The base is small and compact.
    (4) You can very easily carry the iMac by the handle (I cannot remember the reference, although I remember hearing somewhere that Apple recommended it.)

Once you examine these details and the hardware Apple has used for this product, you really get to admire the product.

As for internal upgrades, all you need is RAM. If you really need to upgrade your computer with graphics cards and processor speeds, then go for the PowerMac.

Now, Apple probably will not be using a high-speed G5 for multiple reasons:
    (1) The amount of money used to manufacture all the transisters and chip details for anything above, probably 2GHz, is too high right now.
    (2) Apple likes to go little by little with their products, by upgrading processor speeds in 200MHz increments, or less. By jumping from 1GHz to 4GHz, Apple will kill sales in all lines of G3 and G4 products. It is basically economical suicide, if you will.
    (3) If Apple does use a high speed G5 in their Powermacs, Apple will have to severely increase the speeds of their G4 and G3 lineup of products in order to avoid this economical suicide. The problem with that is that G4 chips of such high speeds are extremely expensive, and, once again, would not be cost effective.

The current model of the iMac G4 is excellent for capturing those who want something basic and simple. However, the only concern I have is the rise of memory and monitor prices.

It does not take a genius to figure it out . . . just someone who uses a Mac.
  8. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

1) The Star Trek looks better than anything on the show.

2) Do you know what the MHz myth is? How bout' a G4 933 just GRILLING any P4 2.x to 3.x GHz. How bout OS X, yuo know what that is GoCyrus? Please, you must know what you are talking about.

3)You want a tower, get one for 1249 from apple. Also, the iMac has a 15in super LCD. So shut the hell up on prices.

4) Actually, I bought my iMac in 98, the 333 model, and I dont regret a damn thing. May I also see your sources on who regrets what? I regret Arn ever letting you in on posting.

If you want to talk about things you completely pull out of your @sshole, go to a PC Forum. If you want a PC, GO BUY ONE! Dont come on this site and diss on macs.

I am fine with someone dissing a Mac with SOURCES or EVIDENCE, but for this num nut to come in here and talk like this...

Its GoCyrus!
  9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2002
    Ha ha haaa!
    Hehe... I think we're going to automatically label every Mac dissenter as "GoCyrus". :D
  10. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Sep 18, 2001
    Denver, CO
    This is obviously a troll topic, but go to most consumers (who generally aren't interested in waving around their massive hardware) and offer them a computer that takes up no more space on their desks than a typical desk lamp, with a screen that will swing right out of the way when they're not using it, like a desk lamp.

I guess I'm not sure what you think the problem is with this.