Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
But regarding to the Haswell, seems to me the more touted improvement is energy management. Very useful in portable and mobile devices. Not a too big issue in desktop computers. But can be useful to cut off the power bill, say, in a 10-15%...?......:D
Exactly. I use also
In a OS X Terminal window:
sudo pmset -a disksleep 30

You can verify your settings via:
In a OS X Terminal window:
pmset -g custom

I've many external HDDs.

----------

What makes you think that?
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/574869/137419114-Introduction-to-AVX2-optimizations-in-x264.pdf

:)

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
Has KGI Securities analyst Ming Chi Kuo weighed in?
I believe, next Tuesday these are out!

----------

Ok sure, but you would probably save more money by turning the computer off when not in use.

Kind of silly to wait a year to upgrade your computer that costs probably less than $50 a year in electricity when left on continuously. I mean if you're really concerned about saving maybe $20 a year in electricity then perhaps you shouldn't be buying a $1,500 or $2,000+ computer...?
Saving power equals less heat equals less noise and longer lifetime for components.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
They need to sort out the shoddy unreliable and unstable Fusion drive fiasco, and bring down the cost of RAM before adding an unnecessary and slight power bump.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes but will it come in gold/champagne ?

Why do you want it to come in gold/champagne?

----------

Bought my 27" a few weeks ago and have been using the heck out of it. No regrets at all. It's one beastly mother. :p

I really like how cool (as in temp) the new iMacs stay even under heavy use. My 2011 27" iMac gets hot under heavy use.

Last edited:

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Yes, but will it be thinner? That's all the consumers want in a new iMac...

According to no one, EVER!!

Speak for yourself because I do. The new iMac is the most elegant AIO there is on the market. Apple managed to make it thinner and at the same reduce the amount of heat dramatically.

Last edited:

locoroco

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2013
Hopefully it will still have dedicated graphics cards inside and expandable memory. Apple is slowly taking away features in its hardware

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Yes, but will it be thinner? That's all the consumers want in a new iMac...

According to no one, EVER!!

A lot of people want it thinner, including me. Computers 10-50 years from now will essentially be screens. What's the problem with moving in that direction?

Also, you may not fit the use case but not everyone is you. I have an iMac I move from one side of the desk to the next. Plus I carry it from bedroom to dinning room back to bedroom quite often. I'd also like to take it with me when I need to work on location. A lot of people actually do that, -vs- carry a separate monitor and a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro because it makes transportation easier.

Point is: you're not everyone.

Plus, the whole point of an all-in-one is that it's the most minimal, nearly non-existent setup ever. Apple should make it as seamless and invisible as possible.

All-in-one is a rounding of features with a focus on simplicity. If you want to focus on power get a Pro machine. If you want to focus on gaming get a PC. There's a lot of options to fit whatever use case you have.

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
K keep crying for your haswell update, those of us who don't need to have a pissing contest over "best CPU" have been enjoying our machines for a year.

Please, tell us, why are haswell processors needed HERE and NOW?? What benefit do you think you're going to get from them?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! It all makes sense now! You have an Ivy Bridge iMac and you're getting all pissy because you're about to get outdated. SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111

MacDarcy

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
I've decided I'm not gonna get a new iMac until they come with 1TB SSD drives standard(at a reasonable price).....AND have Retina displays!! Cause you KNOW it'll happen eventually. :)

kenetic

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
Love the screen, but hate the fact that it's a pain to upgrade it.

----------

apple wont release both computers and mobile devices at once . we will see them in october as with past mac releases baby

One product my steal the other products thunder?

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
This could be a repeat of 2012.

September 2013:

• new iPhone announcements
  • + anything else related to iPhone such as iOS 7

October 2013:

• new iMac and MacBook Pro (and maybe even Mac Pro) announcements
  • + anything else related to them such as OS X Mavericks

What about the next iPads?

CaptainPrice01

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2012
Maybe it's time to finally replace the 2009 iMac. Would love the thin profile of the current iMac since I never use superdrive. Plus the screen looks incredible on the new iMac's.

Its the colours that are what makes the screen incredible. They are so vibrant, sharp and crystal clear. This is all without a retina display.

Poncho

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Holland
I've decided I'm not gonna get a new iMac until they come with 1TB SSD drives standard(at a reasonable price).....AND have Retina displays!! Cause you KNOW it'll happen eventually. :)

My thoughts exactly. Don't buy what you don't need.

Yet.

dylin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
really curious to see if they might make the fusion drive standard for these updates, as well as the GPUs this time around.

inscrewtable

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
I notice that Jobs' email address sjobs rather than just jobs@ apple.com probably due to the millions of job applications that would end up there I suppose.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Here's the difference.

Ok sure, but you would probably save more money by turning the computer off when not in use.

Kind of silly to wait a year to upgrade your computer that costs probably less than $50 a year in electricity when left on continuously. I mean if you're really concerned about saving maybe $20 a year in electricity then perhaps you shouldn't be buying a $1,500 or $2,000+ computer...?

You want to know what the difference between Haswell and the current model iMacs?

I will have a newer better iMac and you will have older model iMac.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I wonder if they'd go so far as to have a high-end BTO option with a 4K display, simultaneously announcing a 4K ACD and the new release of the new MP?

New displays alongside the MP is a good possibility, but I'm not expecting 4k to be in the cards, this time around. If they do materialize this fall, it'll be the best kept secret of the year.

In the iMacs, what I'm looking forward to is a larger SSD, of that newest PCIe-based flash storage variety of course, in that Fusion drive. At least 256GB, and an option for 512GB. Or at least 1TB available as an upgrade on the all-flash models, again of that new, faster PCIe based variety, without braking the bank.

Spiffy graphics --NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5-- especially on the 27" model, standard on the highest config, as well as dedicated analog/digital audio in-outs or failing that, an extra TB port, would also be nice.

I know, that's a big wishlist, and not likely to materialize, but maybe we'll get one of those items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.