Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Hey, i discovered this very strange problem which in my knowlage have no clue on pertaining a possible fix. Please give me your input!

I have a iMac 800mhz G4 60 gig HD, lately ive been noticing low FPS in games compared to friends. So, i checked the system profile to see what type of video card i had, and it shows:

GeForce2 MX:
**Type: display
**Bus: AGP
**Display Type: LCD
**VRAM (Total): 16 MB
**Vendor: nVIDIA (0x10de)
**Device ID: 0x0110
**Revision ID: 0x00b2
**ROM Revision: 1057.008.4

Notice it says "VRAM (Total): 16 MB" Im not even aware Apple made a GF2MX 16 mb video card!?!? I checked: http://www.theimac.com/info/iMac_G4_1_7_2002.shtml And i was right! The video card should be a 32mb! Im suspecting this is the problem. I was told my drivers of the video card could be screwy? What else can i do? Whats wrong?

Sincerly,
Bryan

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Is this a 17" iMac G4?

If so, my brother has this machine and I justed checked his system profiler. It says that he has a GeForce4 MX with 32mb of VRAM.

So, it's possible that your machine may have the wrong card installed. If you still have the iMac's original box, check the specs and if it is supposed to have a GeForce4 instead of a GeForce2, call Apple immediately.

EDIT: Just checked Apple-history.com, you should definitely have 32mb of VRAM, no matter if it's a 17" or not. But, if it's a 15" iMac, then it should have the GeForce2, not the GeForce4. Call Apple and get this fixed.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Are you running Jaguar or Panther, or heaven forbid, Puma (10.1)?

Do you have AppleCare?

It should be 32MB, which is fairly low for a FPS, but still usable. And you cannot upgrade it, just so you know.

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004

Im running the latest os 10.3.7 i believe.

This is a iMac 15, and this started about 5-6 months ago.

Its over my apple care and warentee :(

Also, sometimes when i fiddle around with it. My screeny shows graphic (yellow) imprefections.. up and down. Very werid.

Im also being told now i need to replace the midplane (mother) board?

Isnt there another fix?

I have a feeling im screwed.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
Is there an Apple Tech location near your house, where you can call and take the machine in for just a basic test to see that it was in Apple's fault from the start. Try giving them a call including Apple, I mean the if it was an honest fault of not placing the right VCard then it can be fixed. :)

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Yup there is a mac techy shop near here,

However i was talking to a aussy mac techy, he said it could be the fact my memory is currupt and its memory banks that are usable are being recongized? I think i need a new board.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
rev316 said:
Yup there is a mac techy shop near here,

However i was talking to a aussy mac techy, he said it could be the fact my memory is currupt and its memory banks that are usable are being recongized? I think i need a new board.

Run the Apple hardware test CD/DVD that came with your Mac, see what it has to report.If worse comes to worse the new 499 USD Mac would be a nice replacement.:)

Joking aside try the Hardware Test CD. :)

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004

"Test passed Successfull"

I ran the long and exteneded checks of vram and ram, noda. :(

Im thinking its only checking the ram that it thinks.. is not currupt. :'(

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
There was never made any iMacs with 16MB GeForce2mx.

My wild guess is that maybe half of you vram has crapped out.

or

You haven't connected any other displays, display cables to you iMac (including svideo/RGB).

You have tried to use the ibook/imac screen spanning hack? It might then be the culprit.

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Hmm? Explain please?

I just checked online how much a new motherboard is... 700 bucks with installation (about). I am NOT happy.

So much for a happy new year, if i can figure this out. I just lost a hella lot of money.

MrCommunistGen

macrumors regular
$700??

rev316 said:
I just checked online how much a new motherboard is... 700 bucks with installation (about). I am NOT happy.

Now that's Aussie bucks right? cuz that's almost the price in American for a replacement iMac G4 if you can find one. Other than that, you'd have to replace the mobo to fix the card... ... hang on something's coming to me...

I think I might have heard or read (can someone else confirm) that Apple was going to build some special education iMacs that ran a GeForce card using either less VRAM, shared system memory, or both (less than standard + sharing system memory).

Could you post a screenshot of your Apple System Profiler Hardware Profile? I'll do a bit of research and get back to you if I find anything. Also, checkout Mactracker to see (usually acurate and up to date) details on every Mac under the sun.

-mcg

BTW since we're on the topic of bucks, have you heard the joke about what the difference is between beer nuts and deer nuts?
-
-
-
Beer nuts are $1.50 and deer nuts are just under a buck... :rolleyes:
Oh well, my sympathies, hope you feel better!

point665

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2004
Hmm... Could it have something to do if the person was using the Span Hack from macparts.de ? I remember something about if the screen was spanned then the video card memory would be divided between the 2 displays?

rev316

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
Na man thats my US $ range for a new midplane board.

630 bucks + install err around 650-700.

Anyway, this mac is SUPPOSE to have a 32mb vram, not 16. Ive confirmed this with many sources? Anyway to fix this? Im possitive its a video card problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.