iMac dropping Airport connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hamster, Jan 24, 2007.

1. hamster macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005
    Hi All,

So last week my cable modem went down (turns out the cable outside my house was damaged and the corrosion eventually was too much - new cable and I'm back in business). Once it was up and running again I had some difficulty getting my Airport Extreme basestation to recognize the existing network (which also has an Airport Express on it for music streaming). I finally let the AExtreme basestation identify itself, built a new network around that and moved the AExpress over. Problem solved. Except my iMac seems to lose its airport connection everytime it goes to sleep. I select the correct network from the airport icon in the menu bar, it works great as long as the machine is awake, but after sleep the airport icon is grayed out again. This is especially odd because my iBook does not seem to suffer from this problem. It stays connected the way it always did.

Any ideas?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I had an iBook with this problem. The easiest solution to attempt is to go to System Preferences --> Network --> AirPort, then the AirPort subpane and retyping your password for the network. Depending on how you have things set up, I think you may be able to type it right there in that window or you may have to highlight the network and click "Edit" to bring up the window where you type your password.
  3. hamster thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2005