iMac, DV, and FCP

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by question1, Mar 19, 2002.

1. question1 macrumors newbie

I am a young (read, not wealthy) amateur filmmaker in need of a new Mac for DV editing. Obviously I would love the 933 or dual gig G4, but that whole amateur thing leads to budget concerns. I am seriously tempted to just get the new iMac for the value it offers. But my question is, does anybody know how well the iMac deals with DV editing and how it handles Final Cut Pro? Is the iMac really a good value for my needs, or would I end up being disappointed and frustrated with its limitations for DV?

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

it sounds like you really cant beat the iMac for what you get. what you get IS.

g4 power (finalcut likes this)
    superdrive
    up to a GB of RAM (it also likes this :D )
    high quality display
    unbeatable price

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I with you sparkleytone

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have to agree w/the other 2 posts. If you grab the top of the line iMac you should be good to go. There should be any show stopping differences between the 800mhz iMac and any of the G4 towers. Probably the "worst" thing 'bout the iMac (in regards to what you want to use it for) is the small screen. I'm used to editing on dual 17" or 19" monitors so having only a 15" LCD would drive me nuts. But if yer not used to edting w/dual monitors then you won't know what yer missing. :)

Lethal