iMac DV won't Boot

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by davy the bunny, Jun 7, 2003.

1. davy the bunny macrumors regular

. . . in fact it doesn't do much of anything. I'll give you the story, I recently found this iMac DV in an antique shop for a good price and being that opportunities like this don't arise often I waited for my next paycheck and bought the thing. I tested it in the store to make sure that it worked okay and it seemed to but when I got it home it did nothing. Well exactly what it does is make the startup tone and then you hear the click of the crt coming on and then the power goes right back off. That's it, does anyone have any advice on how to fix it? Thanks in advance for all the reprimands. . .

2. mkaake macrumors 65816

if you can check through your super cool translucent case, see if you can visually inspect your hard drive connection...

and i'm going to throw this in, even if you already know, because, in fact, you never know...

were you using the power button on the imac itself or on the keyboard? i know the first time i tried to fire up a performa 475 that i knew worked, i hit the power on teh back, you could hear the power come on, and the monitor flicker, and then nothing.

i was po'd. then after about 5 minutes of thinking of what i was going to do with my new peice of junk, i remembered that stupid (i actually love the thing) power button on the keyboard. sure enough, it fired right up.

matt

3. mkaake macrumors 65816

i was going to recommend hooking up the imac dv with another firewire mac and booting in firewire disk mode (i still think that that is sooo cool), but if it doesn't even come up with the little flashing mac icon, then it's not getting that far.

have you tried zapping the p-ram? (hold down apple, option, p, r on startup). when the pram zaps, it'll make the startup tone. hold down the keys until you've done this at least 3 times.

sometimes zapping the good old pram is a good way to clear out anything that's been messed up.

if you've tried all of that and it still doesn't work, write back...

matt

4. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

In fact I took the clear translucent casing off to visually inspect all of the connections and everything looks to be in good shape. And I've tried Command-Option-P-R to no avail, in fact I don't think that it will respond to any of the startup key commands. I think that because currently it has a Jaguar CD stuck inside that I can't boot by holding C. Thanks for the suggestions!

5. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

And by the way. . .

I also have not installed Jaguar to the computer. . .

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

pull the cable from the back of your cd rom drive and let it boot normally to make sure everythign is cooth. then, hmm. the imacs use those latoptop esque cd drives, don't they?

is there like a pinhole on them anywhere?

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

just reading around apple, and if you want to intall 10.2...
    I

f you own an iMac (Slot Loading) computer, you must install the iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 before you install Mac OS X 10.2. The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 is available on the Mac OS X Install CD Disc 1. It also available online and can be downloaded if needed.

To install the iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9, your iMac (Slot Loading) computer must be started up from Mac OS 9.1, or 9.2, which must be installed on the hard disk. You cannot install the firmware update if the computer is started up from a CD-ROM, or a network disk. If you normally start up the computer with Mac OS X, you must start up from Mac OS 9.1 or 9.2. For instructions on how to do this, see technical document 106667 "How to Switch Between Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X".

Once you have started up from Mac OS 9, open iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 and follow the update instructions that appear on the screen.

The iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9 is available on the Mac OS X Install Disc 1 in this path:

Mac OS X:Utilities:Firmware Updates:iMac Firmware Update

You may also download it from Apple Software Downloads. See software download document 75130, "iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download."

i'm lookin around to see if you can bypass the cd rom drive if your cd is stuck in there...

matt

<edit> if you have a slot loading drive and need to get the cd out,

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58465

if you have a tray loading drive and need to get the cd out,

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43010

8. mkaake macrumors 65816

and to throw one more at you, i don't suppose you've tried using the power button on the mac instead of the one on the keyboard? (i was just reading around, and imacs from summer of 2000 and early 2001 have issues starting up from the keyboard power button).

matt

9. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

Well I can get the cds in and out just fine, there is a pinhole on the slot loads you just have to know where it is. I do know about the firmware update that you need but I haven't installed jaguar and even after I did boot the jaguar cd for the first time I restarted a few times before this happened.

I have tried both power buttons to no avail, and right now I've just taken the thing apart so I could get to the pmu reset. I am currently trying this fix. . .

10. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

Well that didn't work, I guess if noone else has anything I'll have to take it to the Apple Store so that they can replace the logic board, well I'll do that once I save up the $260. Hmm, I wonder if they'll sell me the part so I can do it myself. . .

And one more thing, the Mac Genius called it a PAV Board any know any reason why?

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

it sure sounds like a hard drive problem. nice post mkaake. i allways forget about those firmware updates. you da man.

12. mkaake macrumors 65816

well thank you! i try to be helpful.

Depending on where you live, i would almost find it laughable to buy a 260 dollar part for that thing... no offense. but out here in michigan, if you go to university of michigan property requisition*, you can have yourself an entire imac (with keyboard n mouse n power cord) for a smooth 150-200 bucks...

so look around before you get hit up for that much money...

matt

* this is where the university sells off old computers, printers, desks, random stuff, etc. (it's also where i got my mac, keyboard, mouse, 17 inch studio display (from the same era), and power cables for 200 bucks total)

13. mkaake macrumors 65816

PAV = power analog video

matt

ps. if they say it's the pav board, then your computer theoretically should boot just fine... do you have another mac and a six pin to six pin fw cable to try to boot into firewire disk mode?

matt

14. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

To Don't Hurt Me: Well I tried the fix on that page which included opening up the computer and disconnecting the hard drive which I did so I don't think it's that. It also won't boot from a CD so I think that's out.

To mkaake: My other mac is an eMac that should be fully capable, but I don't know how to get the iMac to boot from it. I had already tried just connecting the firewire cable to both and that didn't do anything (I assume it's the right cable because the 4pin doesn't transfer power and this is my iPod cable. . .)

My knowledge is limited at most but, I thought that the computer would look at the hard drive, CD drive, and then any attached devices. . . Do I need to hold a startup key or something? Also note that I got the standard "used car salesman line" from the store I bought it from telling me that it had hardly been used and that it had been sitting in a closet for most of it's life so I don't know if it's had any of the firmware updates at all. . .

I did find it laughable to pay that much for such a thing, I found that a MacGenius does not like when you laugh in their face. Thanks for the knowledge about the college requisitions though, there are so many colleges here in Dallas that are probably replenishing their macs, I'm sure that I can find one that's gonna have something of interest. . . well that's if I don't get this fixed!

15. mkaake macrumors 65816

if you want to boot the imac in target disk mode, go ahead and have it plugged into your emac, then when you fire up the imac, hold down the 't' key, and it should show up on your emac as a mounted drive (just like your hard drive).

if that works, then your problem is likely the display... i suppose it could possibly be something with the system, but i seriosly doubt it.

i would be really surprised to find that it was an os problem at this point.

so yeah, give that a shot, and we can start narrowing things down a bit.

for some more info, can you tell me exactally what happens when you turn on the imac? does the hard drive spin up at all? does anything (like the power button) light up? or does it just click and die?

matt

16. mkaake macrumors 65816

if you can't boot into target disk mode, there's something on the board that's keeping you from getting to firmware...

(unless you're running firewire software below 2.3.3)

"To put the computer into Target Disk mode, the user holds down the T key while the computer is starting up. When Open Firmware detects the T key during the boot process, it transfers control to special Open Firmware code."

and if that pav board is keeping the imac from booting, you're hosed. again, look for a different imac, grab the hard drive and any ram that you can from the mobo, see if there's anything else salvageable, and get rid of it.

or, you can buy one of those fish tank conversion things that will make your imac shell into a sweet looking aquarium... those are cool.

matt

as a last ditch, you can look for the part on ebay, but i wouldn't get my hopes too high there...

17. boristhespider macrumors newbie

davy the bunny,

This may be unrelated to your problem, but have you tried replacing the internal battery for the imac? If it hasn't been used much it is probably dead dead dead..............!

I know that macs that are older than your imac won't startup if the battery is gone. Not sure
    if that model specifically won't boot with a dead battery, but if you haven't given that a shot it
    might be worth your while to try.

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try holding Cmd-Option-O-F while you turn it on and see if you get a prompt, also try holding Option and see if you get anything.

19. mkaake macrumors 65816

bad pram battery won't do anything to prevent that computer from booting - i have the beige g3, bought it wit a dead pram bat. doesn't make any difference other than if it gets unplugged, you have to reset the time.

since getting a new pram battery, it actually takes me longer to boot up. funky, huh? but now when i start the computer, it's a good 30 seconds or so before it even turns the monitor on anymore.

as for booting into open firmware, i don't see where that would get him... if he can get as far as firmware, he'll be able to see his hd in target disk mode. if it is in fact the pav board, then he'll never know if he made it into open firmware or not...

matt

20. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the suggestions every one but as I said before, none of the startup keys work.

To boristhespider: No I haven't tried replacing the battery yet, it can't hurt (unless the battery's expensive), I'll definitely look into it.

To mkaake: Here's exactly what happens when I push either of the power buttons:

1. Pushing of the power button, power light comes on.
    2. Start-up tone
    3. Click of the CRT, but no display
    4. CD-ROM spins for a second, if there is a disk in.
    5. Immediately after step 4, CRT clicks off.
    6. Power light goes out
    7. System goes off.

note: even when I had the cover of the computer off the hard drive didn't really make much of a sound.

Right now I'm at work but I'll keep a list of everything that everyone says so that I may try it when I get home in 10 hours.

About Firewire Boot: Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that on an iMac with Firmware lower than 2.x it was impossible to boot via firewire. . . Can you give me the steps necessary to boot the iMac from my eMac via Firewire:

Thanks to everyone for helping, I love the distributed computing of this, thanks for lending me some of your brains' cycles to lend me a hand!

21. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

This brings me into the discussion. I also have an iMac DV and my battery is obviously dead, as the clock gets back to 1970 or so when I plug off my computer.

Now, I didn't know you can change the battery or even take the casing off! Can someone please tell me in little words how this can be done?

22. JackRipper macrumors regular

Hmmm, I had a similar problem with my iMac 233, but since I had been using it at the time it started failing I knew what happened.... The Monitor blew. From what I've seen in forums that is common with old (CRT) iMacs.
    If you're lucky enough to have (or can find one on eBay) an old Apple Monitor with a DB-15 connection ( Like the Performa 15 Display ) then I would suggest opening the puppy up, unpluging the monitor from the chassis and plug in the montior cable for the external monitor. Once I did that my iMac booted right up. It seems the boot rom has some sort of check for the monitor and if it has a problem the system will just shut down.

I'm not familiar with the internals of the iMac DV, so this may not help, but I thought I'd try.

23. davy the bunny thread starter macrumors regular

Well I had no knowledge whatso ever about taking it apart but all you need is a standard phillips screwdriver to get to all of the stuff inside. Just turn it upside down, there are 4 screws to unscrew on the plastic. Once you get the 4 screws off the plastic, you may have trouble getting the plasitc bottom off, it's tricky but I can't really give you any help in getting it off. So once you get that off you should be looking at a big sheet of metal shielding. It's got 6 screws to unscrew and it's significantly easier to take off than the plastic. Once that's off, then you're looking right at the board and the battery is over to the right if the screen is facing away from you.

But what do I know, my iMac is dead right now, heh.

24. mkaake macrumors 65816

lol!

<edit for stupidity>

*cough*

your most likely bet is to try that monitor thing, but if you only have an emac at home, you may be a little out of luck for a while. if that still doesn't work, then i guess the genius was right (hey, they're not getting paid for nothing, right), and i'd suggest looking around for a different imac.

matt

25. JackRipper macrumors regular

Right, I know how to take my iMac apart ( I had to take it apart to attach the external monitor to it ). I was just telling you what I did to fix my iMac that had similar problems. Everyone else here is talking about batteries and such but the problem I had ( and it sounds a *lot* like your problem as well ) was with the monitor. I sure hope it helps.