Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derekscoopers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Iver, Bucks
Help

Can anybody help, I recently bought ( legaly) an Imac G3 266mhz with OS 9 but the seller did not have the password so I purchased what I thought was the correct software so I could re install and place my own password.

What happended then was the system crashed with an error message 102 and no matter what I do I cannot stop this error coming up and cannot continue to load.

I have now established I bought the wrong OS software, I bought for a 400 mhz, I have tries OS 8.6 but still get the same crash error.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.or any body living anywhere near Heathrow airport that could sort it out for me I would be happy to pay.

Derek

derekscoopers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Iver, Bucks
Les

many thanks for your reply

The software I bought from e-bay was iMac for DV models part no 2465 A which I understood re-installed OS9

Derek

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Get an Techtool or an apple Os 9 CD/Boot disk so you can check with the utility.

BTW, how much was this computer, the G3 266 is like very, um no offense slow.

Edit.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'm guessing it's multiple users under OS9. You need a boot disk of some kind. If you can boot from some other disk, you can move a few extensions and toss some prefs. But in any event you REALLY need an OS9 boot disk. If you have another security program on, like Foolproff, the boot disk will also work UNLESS advanced disk lock is on (I think it works on the older iMacs). If that's the case you're not going to crack it, and a new drive will be needed.
The 266 series has some good life left in it, and in my experience runs just fine on 9, but I THINK 9.0.4 is as high as it will go and run okay, but check with Apple.
Where are you? Do you need a OS9 disk?

derekscoopers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Iver, Bucks
Les

I only have 2 disks i is the iMac Software install and the other is the iMac Software restore.

Which ever I try to boot from by holding the C key down it still locks with the error 102.

is there a disk I am missing, I have tried my 8.6 iMac disk and still the same.

my iMac is a 1999 unit with the slide out CD drawer if that helps, no dealer near me in the UK want to help !.

Derek

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
Oops. That's a 32-bit disk...that iMac is 24 bit system. Look for generic disk in 9 or 8.6 OEM. Thje DV-series OS will not work on that Mac.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Originally posted by Les Kern
Oops. That's a 32-bit disk...that iMac is 24 bit system. Look for generic disk in 9 or 8.6 OEM. Thje DV-series OS will not work on that Mac.

it should still try and boot from the CD, it just wouldn't install (and are you sure that's a DV-series installer? my DV iMac shipped with 9)... if you're still getting the error trying to just boot from the CD, there's some bigger problem here... could be hardware related...i'd have to sit down at the computer to be of more help than that...

pnw

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I have to disagree. An OEM installer disk, even if "only" OS9 that comes with a DV iMac will not work on every Mac. I have a mix of perhaps 500 units of lvarious models including 333's, 400's, 500's 6+700's and that is the history at least for me. Apple's web site gives info on error 103.

derekscoopers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Iver, Bucks
Sorry Les, lost me ages ago, you must consider I do understand some of it but I am talking to experts now and struggling.

Do I need another OS 9 Disk for my 266mhz iMac ? or am I wasting more money.

Many thanks

Derek

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I'm trying to think what would be the easiest way to get a working machine....
1. Original disk for that model (Apple-branded 8.6?) may not guarantee success if it's a hardware issue (which I doubt) Do you know ANYONE with such a disk to test it? Check magazines for older OS disks, like MacWorld.
2. "Generic" OS9 disk. But know this: That iMac, if I recall, needed a firmware update in order to use 9! So this might be the least desirable path.
3. Take it to an Apple-Authorized dealer. Cost more, but ultimately the least annoying and time-consuming.

derekscoopers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2003
Iver, Bucks
Les

Thanks for info but:-

I have now tried OS8.6 but again it crashes, the 8.6 is 400mhz from out imac at work.

Whichever disk I try to boot from it will not read it,

Just a point, you all say hold the C key down whilst trying to start,

the C key is the key far left/lowest isn;t it not the apple key ?third in from left.

Sorry to be a pain.

Derek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.