iMac + External Speakers - crackle and pop!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by page3, Oct 28, 2006.

1. page3 macrumors 6502

Feb 10, 2003
    Vicar of Dibley-land, UK
    Hi all,

I have just bought the Acoustic Energy Aego sat/sub speakers for my 24" iMac...and excellent they are too. A HUGE improvement on the built in speakers.

However, I occasionally get an electronic 'pop' or crackle from the satellites. Only happens occasionally. If I plug the speakers in to my iPod (2nd gen) all is perfect, so I assume the iMac is picking up interference from the mains or network and passing it on. Anyone go a similar problem?

I assume my options are to try a better gangway adapter (or UPS) with noise filtering, or perhaps (but this seems a bit overkill) a USB audio output device rather than using the iMac audio out.

Any advice much appreciated. I cannot begin to describe just how much better the AE Aego's are, but the interference is annoying...
  2. alexcarter123 macrumors member

Mar 4, 2009
    having exact same problem with same speakers.
    you ever find a solution?
  3. MrENGLISH macrumors regular

Apr 18, 2009
    WoW!!! Talking about reviving an OLD thread.... YIKES! You'd be better off PMing the OP, "page3".
  4. thepominlaw macrumors member

Jan 29, 2010
    same here exactly the same speakers and the same problem
  5. shorn macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2010
    I'm going to revive this again as well!

I recently connected up the same speakers to my 24" imac, and I am getting a slight interferance and a loud hiss/cracking every now and then, almost like feedback.

Any ideas?
  6. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

Apr 11, 2011
    A similar thing is happening to me with my macbook pro and Fostex PM0.4 studio monitors.
    I believe it has nothing to do with the speakers themselves (simply because I hear this popping noise when using headphones as well)
    It seems like after a period of no noise (music or sound effects) the external sound output will "disengage" and then re-engage immediately before use again.
    The result is a loud static popping noise.
    I am finding this increasingly annoying.
    Anyone know how to fix this?
  7. Markovich macrumors newbie

Jul 22, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I have had this issue on a 24" and my new 27" i5 iMac. First was with a set of JBL Creatures and more recently a pair of M-Audio AV40's. I bought a new APC surge protector with RF filtering and plugged the speaker's AC adapter in it and left the iMac plugged into to a different APC surge protector. That seemed to resolve it. I recall it has something to do with a current loop.
    I think the underlying issue is Apple using a less than robust Audio jack.
    My older PowerMac G5 had a similar issue come to think of it!
  8. duncanbrodie1 macrumors member

Apr 11, 2011
    That sounds about right.
    Thanks Mark