iMac fan question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cornelius, Jun 12, 2002.

1. cornelius macrumors regular

Hi, (first im back,i dont know if anyone cares) But hey i'm a happy owner of the new iMac, but today i noticed that the vent holes on top of the fan (thats where the arm connects to the base) is really dirty with dust, grey to be exact. my questions are how can i clean it? and if that affects the computer? in some ways,performance wise?

another quick question and comment.
    i think that the g4 ibook special edition is a good idea,just hold the system bus down to 100 like the new iMac.
    the other one is has anyone heard about technical,or any other kind of problems with the new iMac,besides the pixels. Im more interested in speed,and startup.

thanks

2. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Filthy,dirty, grilled iMac!

ok well, I know what your talking about, I have seen it before.
    Its not all that easy to deal with, really.
    Surprisingly, its a common problem among some people.

It can get kinda lenghty in the procedure.
    but I will list it in the proper order.

First: Clean your room, or apartment, or whatever hovel you call your abode.
    Second: You may need to perhaps, close the windows or move your iMac to an area where there is less filth floating onto it from all the other filth in your house or from outside.
    Third: Then you grab a dry cloth and using a decent forearm sweep. Swab that dust off the top of the iMac! SWoosh~

Now you may not get it all right away.

But dont let that deter you, get right back in there and have another go at it.
    You may have to use some wrist action, perhaps move more molecules than you are perhaps comfortable with. If its done quickly, I feel certain that you will be successful in this second attempt to get most of the dust particles.

If you find these tasks too difficult to do, then I suggest you get Mommie to come into your room and help you. She could hold your hand while you get used to wiping with the other. Or maybe she could just watch and make sure your ok while you make another attempt.

These thing are sometimes hard to understand but I am pleased to be of service.

Now to recap, for the handicapped.

Get a dry cloth and swab it off.
    Try to do it without mommie!

3. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

WHAT A ****IN *******. HEY SMARTASS THE DUST IS NOT ON TOP OF IT, ITS INSIDE BETWEEN THE GRILLES. SO STOP BEING SUCH A SMARTASS PRETENDING TO BE COOL AND WISE. CUZ YOU DONT HAVE ANY IDEA OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT. I GUESS SOMEONE IS NOT GETTING THE ATTENTION THAT THEY NEED, WHAT A SAD STORY, AND THEN HE TAKES HIS ANGER OFF ON THE WORLD. MAN YOU SUCK.
    --SORRY EVERYONE FOR ACTING LIKE THESE BUT THESE ARE THE CRAPS THAT PEOPLE DO.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Hey cornelius... chill the F out!!

This really SHOULD be a no brainer, but I guess you need to be sold a clue :rolleyes:

There's this product that has been on the market for several years now... it's compressed air in a can. Go get some, put the little straw where it goes, and blow the holes... I'm sure even you can do that. :p

5. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

thanks alpha,i previously thought of that but i wasnt sure about trying it because i was afraid of pushing the dust into the system. im not an IT,so i base myself on common knowledge,i clean the outside already like grookgod?,
    but i was worried about the only that is on the inside (within the ring) of the grille. thanks i knew i had to chill,but he tried to be funny thinking i was a ****in mommies boy, at first i thought it was funny,but then it irritated me, so you know jsut try to read the things twice and dont care or try or pretend everyone is fdumb. so i appologiza if i offended anyone.

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

oh! you have cut me to the bone.

All in Caps! The Internet heard you scream in shallow ego.

I stand in shame of my error and misunderstanding.
    Head bowed in abject horror.

Where did I go wrong, why have I become the example of
    "The craps that people do" LOL

Taken right out of Tolstoy. Really, you cause me to shudder.

Yet, I must return to my original solution.
    What you fail to understand in my post, which was obviously TOO complicated
    a solution.
    Is that these events must take place at a point when it is no longer too late. You see the filth piles up and begins to fall into the holes.
    Really at that point, the lesson is that, laziness has its own rewards.

In this case, the reward is to learn how to clean before its out of hand.

Now, I can undrstand that all the caps typing, may have left you exhausted.
    Lord knows, it tired me out! :p whew, with laughter.

so I will add this...

Clean more before the problem gets worse and needs more complicated cleaning.
    If the problem has already gotten worse, use a tool or implement to clean the holes.
    Perhaps a toothpick!
    Or better yet take apart the entire computer and clean it from the inside, before air flow is inhibited and your computer fries~

To recap,, for the handicapped!

Use toothpick or other tool.
    Clean before this type of thing happens, usually on the weekend or after school. Better yet, get your mom, or sister or girlfriend, if you have one, to do it for you.

Added> I wasnt offended in the least, so no worries there. :)

7. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

dude, what's your problem? grokgod
    did you read where the dust is located? and alpha's sugestion,but the consequences it might have. thats why i started this whole thread.
    and im not going to continue with your problems.

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

You would be surprised at how much dust I see inside systems and they continue to run. Granted dust will reduce the efficiency of the cooling systems inside the computer.

If you get a lot of dust inside the room where the computer is, then pick up one of the units that pulls dust from the air. Yes, they actually make things like that now. A humidifier could also assist, if you are in a dry environment.

I am certain that you could find something to cover the top of the computer for when it is NOT in use. The fan inside the computer should provide enough upward air flow to keep the computer free from dust while running.

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

please don't kill me for this suggestion...

turn the iMac off, and use a low-powered vacuum. Be careful, though, because I heard somewhere that using a vacuum can cause static electricity, and we don't want that...

10. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

THAT is why there is the canned air... :rolleyes:

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

LOL

That is SO funny, you told him to use a vacumn.

That is SO cruel. really,. I would never have gone that way.
    I mean you even know that it could ruin his computer.

I mean I was actually trying to help in my own blissful bizarro, manner.

But to outright tell him to destroy his computer is rich...

ok, I am not killing,, merely applauding... I think that there is a difference.

I still think you use a toothpick and kinda snag it out.

Or as AlphaTech so obviously has stated, canned air. Blow the dust into the snow cone. And as the years pass, perhaps a happy thing will begin to grow in there. AlphaTech is right as usual, computer can work under a lot of rather filthy conditions.

~cornelius
    As for my problems, well those are obviously far to wide and difficult to consider in this forum, so I understand your desire not to entrench yourself.
    Sadly, I must rage on, into the night whereI help the handicapped in secret.

12. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I think they make small vacuums to clean out keyboards, but I'm not so sure. I would use canned air to blow things off of a surface, but using it on the vent of the iMac may just blow the dust into the computer, which you don't want. Or, you could use some cleaning wipes (anti-static, of course), and see if that helps pick up the dust. Whenever I've had dust on my computer, I just open it up, and blow it out, since G4's are easy to open. Not too sure about the iMac, though...

Just remember. We are all smart, rational people here. Right?

13. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

hm. how long have you had your imac? mine is very clean and i havent had to touch it yet. from what ive seen macs generally do not suck in much dust since they dont use the fan much. are you a smoker?

the imac fan is the strongest fan ive seen on a mac though so i guess its not surprising it pulls in dust for some people.

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

From what I have seen of the design, I would imagine that the top holes are to vent air out of the computer, not to suck it in. Since hot air does rise, it would make sense to have the fan pushing it upwards and out of the iMac.

If there is excessive amount of dust in the vent holes, then keep the can of air handy, and the next time the internal fan is pushing air out, blow the dust off of the holes. Granted, you will want to dust your place a little more often (more then once or twice a year is good) with a svelt computer in it.

For some reason, my new place has many times less dust then the old one. It could have something to do with the drop ceiling in the old place, where the new one has a real ceiling. :D

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

you are probably right. but that makes it seem even more odd that he would have dust in there. air flowing out should keep dust from settling. but mine is quite clean and ive never needed to do anything to clean it.

im guessing he is a smoker. ive seen some very nasty computers owned by smokers. im sure being a tech you could probably sharev some similiar experiences.

16. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

i dont smoke in my apt., my roomate doesnt like it, so i do it in the balcony,which it is away from my room. i just moved in to a new apartment, the complex has only 3 years, ive had my imac since march, the place is cleaned and vacumed everyother week,thats, why i was worried and lookings for help, and someone else stated before, we are all smart here, the surface is not dirty, its only the inner area on the rings of the grilles, and i already and somebody else said why i discarded the compressed air, i guess im juts going to go for my last option,turn off the computer,and use some qtips and clean it, and i guess someone people here need to clean their ear more often than their computers since they dont here really well.
    Ah, yeah i dont want to rant, but do you own a new iMac (im not saying that wooo, i own one, im just saying it as, ok you have one you can check yours to see and compare it with mine), and alpha, i guess i will also try an air filter.

17. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

Login | My Support | Guided | Expert | Archive | Help | Feedback
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    TITLE

iMac (Flat Panel): How to Clean Your Computer
    Article ID:
    Created:
    Modified: 34557
    2/20/02
    2/21/02
    TOPIC

This document discusses how to clean your computer.
    DISCUSSION

Follow these general rules when cleaning the outside of your computer and its components:
    · Use a damp, soft, lint-free cloth. Avoid getting moisture in any openings.
    · Don't use aerosol sprays, solvents, or abrasives.
    WARNING: Do not use acetone, alcohol, or any alcohol-based cleaner on your computer. Never spray cleaner directly onto your computer. Liquid could drip inside the screen or case and cause an electrical shock.
    Cleaning the screen
    Follow these guidelines for cleaning your screen:
    · Turn off your computer.
    · Use a mild, nonabrasive cleaner on a lint free cloth and wipe the screen. Use a cleaner intended for use with an LCD (liquid crystal display).
    Note: Use the cloth that was packaged with the computer to wipe lint off a dry display.
    Cleaning the computer's case
    To clean the computer case, do the following:
    · Turn off the computer and disconnect the power plug. (Pull the plug, not the cord.)
    · Wipe the surfaces lightly with a clean, soft cloth dampened with water.
    Cleaning the keyboard
    Take care not to spill any liquid on the keyboard. If you do, turn off your computer immediately. Disconnect the keyboard from the computer immediately.
    When you spill liquid:
    · If you spill liquid that is thin and clear, turn off your computer, unplug the keyboard, turn it upside-down to let the liquid drain out, and let it dry for 24 hours at room temperature. If, after you take these steps, the keyboard doesn't work, take it to your Apple-authorized service provider for repair.
    · If you spill liquid that is greasy, sweet, or sticky, unplug the keyboard and take it to your Apple-authorized service provider for repair.
    ( This information is gleaned from the Info Center online help system, which is located on your computer's hard disk.)
    Document Information
    Product Area: iMac
    Category: iMac Hardware
    Sub Category: General Topics
    Keywords:

Survey: This document...
    fully addressed my question
    partially addressed my question but could be more complete or detailed
    did not address my question at all
    Submit

Support Site Index | Export Compliance | Help Using Web Support

Contact Us | Privacy Notice
    Copyright © 2001 Apple Computer, Inc. All rights reserved.
    1-800-MY-APPLE

18. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Do you think you could make a longer run-on sentence??? How about some punctuation or capitalization of words???

The instructions that you found are for normal cleaning, not for elimination of dust in the vent holes.

19. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

my bad for the punctuation (but im righthanded and im wearing a cast on my right wrist, bc i had an accident) and ive been having dificulties.
    yeah, i pasted those instructions cuz those were the only "cleaning" info that i found from apple. i will be buying the filter later on today. and what i will do is put the imac sideways, and clean i with a qtip, and after doing that i will try to use the compressed air.

20. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

please dont attack me. i wasnt attacking you at all. but while you are mentioning people who cant hear, i should mention that i did clearly say that i too have an imac. my reason for (accurately) guessing you were a smoker was that my machine is still as clean as the day i pulled it out of the box, and i have seen many computers used by smokers that have tar all over the inner components.

if compressed air does not work, then try acetone on que tips. it is probably tobacco tar and acetone should disolve it. and definitely avoid touching the tar, that is some nasty stuff. i would suggest using gloves.

after you get it clean though i woudl suggest STOP SMOKING. sorry but ive spent quite some time doing cancer research (PAHs to be specific) and it still shocks me what people do to their bodies. I work with a number of scientists who have been working on this stuff for over 50 years and can you imagine their frustration when they discovered the cure to one of the deadliest cancers in western civilization only to be ignored by people like you? but if you do not care that you are killing yourself at least consider what you are doing to your poor lil' iMac. im glad you don't smoke around it, but as you can see it is still pulling tobacco tar out of the air (probably off your clothes) (you should see machines used by people who smoke while right in front of them! ack!). if you dont care about your own health at least consider the health of your iMac. [stepping off soap box...]

21. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

lemon,thanks for your concern and info.sorry, i wasnt ranting at you when i mentioned the imac. in fact i want to stop this whole thread, because it is filled with comunication errors, and it is irritating me.
    lemon,what you said is true, i got a wake up call today about smokin,i went to the doc to check my wrist,the first thing that they asked me after the diagnose was if i smoke, so,my healing period is 3months minimum,with mac between 6 or 7,they told me that if i want to heal faster.better, and have healthy bones, i have to stop smoking.so lemon, thanks i feel grateful for this wake up calls.
    on other not i place the imac sideways, using the foam that came with it, and i cleaned the vent holes with qtips,then i sprayed some compressed air,and it worked, it looks neat now, somethin that i was thinkin was that maybe that dust came from where i used to leave before, i never thought of it until you brought up the smoking thing,i used to leave on a dorm,a ****ty one,it was old,and dirty,but hey it was cheap,thats why i was able to aford this amazing computer. and well that place,after i moved out when classes ended, theystarted cleaning the vents because the residents were complaining about the dust and breathing problems. it is a 13th floor building,old, and it had ventilation problems. thanks for everything.

22. cornelius thread starter macrumors regular

sorry it was with maximum of 6 to 7. not mac. my bad.

23. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

They used to sell this "turbo brush" or something that was a tiny vacuum with detachable heads designed for cleaning crevices such as keyboards and vent holes..that was years ago si I wouldn't have a clue if they still exist..