iMac (flatscreen) help

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Paolo, May 16, 2002.

1. Paolo macrumors regular

I've got one glitched pixal on my screen that's been there since I bought it!

Can someone tell me how to get rid of it!?

2. iGav macrumors G3

Sorry Paolo, but once you have a dead there is nothing you can do..... if it's stuck i.e. shows up either as red, green or blue, then you maybe able to massage it out very lightly with a cloth......

If that doesn't work, then I'm affraid you're stuck with it....... Apple won't consider replacing it until atleast 3 pixels (that's what Apple UK told me) are either dead or stuck.....

I feel your pain though, when I first got my TiBook, I had one stuck pixel, I complained and was told the 3 pixel rule, and then over 3-4 months, my pixels just started blowing..... in the end, I had a cluster of 60+ stuck pixels, so I sent it for repair, and when I received it back, the screen had 2 dead pixels, and another has just stuck.....!!! Grrrrrrr..

I've just changed my desktop image though to hide the problems......!!!:( :D

3. Paolo thread starter macrumors regular

damn

It's red... but I tried massaging it and it won't go away... is there a special way to massage!?

4. iGav macrumors G3

Dirty...... :p

Affraid not, best to use a lint free cloth, and with gentle pressure rub over the stuck pixel.......

Sometimes it might go, otherwise it'll just stay there and there is nothing you can do..... apparantly you can have stuck pixels zapped with a laser, that turn them to dead pixels, these appear as faint grey square, unlike the super annoying glow of a stuck pixel......

I've got a stuck pixel, that is bright blue..... so I added a blue desktop, and hey presto it vanishes...... although I can slightly see the 2 dead pixels if I stare, the thing is, I'm a perfectionist, so i notice these minor details, any non perfectionist almost certainly wouldn't notice them......

Oh well..... good luck on you massage..... :D ;) :p

5. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Ahem.

Dead and stuck pixels are an unfortunate part of a very nice technology. Rest assured that in a few years time there will be either something better, or a new/improved manufacturing process that will make dead and stuck pixels a thing of the past.

6. iGav macrumors G3

Completely agree..... LCD's are so much better than CRT's....... that said I am disapointed about the quality on the Powerbook, there does seem to be a high dead or stuck pixel percentatge rate.....

My external Sony LCD is truly fantastic though.......