imac for CS:S

Discussion in 'Games' started by Conthemon, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Conthemon macrumors newbie

hello, i'm a mac newb but have been convinced to make the transition from pc to mac :D. I will hopefully make the transition soon but am really excited to play CS Source with these incredible frame rates people are claiming to achieve on a mac!. I was thinking of going for the 17'" model, as i hear this is enough to run steam MOST IMPORTANTLEY CS SOURCE properly and smoothly. HOWEVER, i would like to achieve the best frame rate possible for the money.

I WAS THINKING, if this would be appropriate to obtain 100 FPS and the incredible fps people are getting.

17'" MODEL STOCK maybe with RAM upgrade?
    1.83 ghz processor.
    ATI x6000 or something like that? im pretty sure this card can handle it and its Video memory is good enough to run source. RATHER than the upgrade 256 version which i find unessacary becuase i tend to stick with one online game.
    QUESTION - RAM 512 FINE OR 1GB?

thanks for the response in advance.

2. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

I'm not sure where you are seeing people claiming 100fps in source, because that is not the case. The x1600 is a decent card, but its sorta low/midrange for todays games. Even an old Radeon 9800Pro beats it quite badly.

As for the RAM, you want 1gb for sure.

3. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Do the 1GB upgrade yourself. It's plain easy. 2 screws and one tiny little plate to remove.

4. Conthemon thread starter macrumors newbie

i would obviously love to run cs on high settings, i'm just wondering if the imac is capable of that? even with the 128 mb video card and 1 gb of ram...i doubt it tho eh? Anyone know?

5. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

High settings without AA or AF, yes. But certainly not at 100fps. Maybe at like 20-40 or so, depending on the map and amount of players.

6. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

wrong :) i played HL2 demo o nthe iMac at my local computing store. Had AA at 2x and it ran so smooth, you can even run bf2. I wouldn't worry about the ram upgrade if you are just playing cs source.

STORE SPECS

ATI X1600 128 VRAM
    17"