iMac for gaming

Discussion in 'iMac' started by nicolastzi, Aug 27, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I am intersted in buyingiMac 27" of 2012 with 3.2GHz, 1TB, Geforce gt 675m with 1GB, 12gb ram. Is it good for gaming?

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

It should be plenty fine, either because there is a native OS X version of the game or you can install Windows via BootCamp and run the game in that OS.

3. macrumors 6502

elithrar

Get the 680MX if you are playing games released in the last 12 months. There's a decent jump between it and the 675M.

4. macrumors newbie

I love my 27in iMac with the GTX680, but I would never buy it solely for gaming. If only Apple would have put a GTX680 in the 21.5in iMac with its lower resolution. If you like eye candy in your games, you might be disappointed playing at the native resolution on the 27in. I ended up building a small mini itx gaming machine with a GTX 780 to fulfill my needs that the GTX680 in the iMac just could not handle with all the settings cranked on ultra. If I could do it all over again, I would have bought a base model iMac along with a Windows rig just for gaming.

5. macrumors 6502a

Do you play the games in Bootcamp or OS X? OS X gaming performance is ways worse then Windows, so you might be able to get more out of your iMac if you install Bootcamp.

6. macrumors newbie

Omen, I've ran my games on both Bootcamp and OSX. Of course the gaming experience on Windows was better. I am not saying you can't game on the GTX680, but if you are coming from a PC with a decent GPU, gaming at 1080p, you can be in for a shocker when you crank those settings and that mobile GTX680 in the iMac buckles under the pressure. The GTX680 can easily drive the 21.5in iMac and I really wish Apple would offer a high end GPU for it. Again, I love my iMac but I wish I would have just bought the base model and threw together a gaming PC for $1000 on the side that can outpace the iMac in gaming. By the way, I have a Viewsonic VP2770 IPS monitor, and this thing is just as good as my iMac 27in screen. It will set you back $710 though.

7. macrumors 601

Icaras

I own only one computer: my 2012 iMac and I couldn't be happier running it as my sole gaming machine. Love the performance on this beast. :cool:

8. macrumors 68040

Wait for the 780M experience and maybe they will put 4Gb vRam. And in meantime mavericks will be out soon with support for OpenGL 4.1