imac g3 233mhz wont power up now....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tgg, Jul 31, 2005.

1. tgg macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    I Have a iMac 233mhz g3 its the blue color one, and all I did was went to put it at another location in the room and I plugged in the power cord and notice some electricity at the plug end and then went to turn in on and nothing happens at all no more whats so ever.

ANy1 know the issue please help thax.
  2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004

First off, I'm not a Mac user yet but the situation is general. I think your iMac may be dead. Try and get another power cord.
  3. OryHara macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2004
    San Bruno, CA
  4. WeeShoo macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2005
    North Carolina
  5. tgg thread starter macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    OK yea I guess it was like sparks, basically after seeing that I said to myself ohh no please power up hehehehe.

Ok now About the PRAM battery is it hard or where is it at and where can i get it etc.

From using google for my issue seems like theres a known issue of my issue, but they talk about the flyback trasnformer being bad. Now i read that there will be some little power like the green light coming on or you hear the fan and drives making noise but no video signal, or even the imac will turn on for only 5-10 seconds then just powers off. Well those symtons dont aplly to me cause i dont get no power at all what so ever. So does the PRAM battery make sense or what? thax...
  6. bodeh6 macrumors 6502a

May 18, 2005
    I think it might be time for a new computer. eMac would probably be great for you. You can get it for as low as $799 ($749 for students + free iPod for students)
  7. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i think that is good advice, even if your 1998 era mac is working perfectly

os x can't be very good on that machine, many peripherals won't have drivers, and many current programs will have system requirements too steep for your nearly seven year old machine

it sounds like your have a bad cord or a shot lithium system battery, which i would let a mac service tech replace for you

my 1999 era ibook and compaq presario laptops are still good for vintage computer games, word processing, spreadsheet, and desktop graphics (with the ibook valiantly handling an old version of photoshop/illustrator/pagemaker) with its 160 mb maxed out ram limit
  8. tgg thread starter macrumors member

Jul 31, 2005
    Well push the pram reset little button once and removed the pram battery for about 1 hour and then hold button for about 10 seconds and then put battery back in and everything and suprise, suprise the mac powered on. But again i shutdown and unplugged it and set it on a computer desk and then plugged in the cord behind the imac with the other end of the cord already in the power outlet and saw some electricity or sparks whatever you want to call it and it wont power on again, so I'm gonna do the procedure again and I already have it on the desk where i want it so I can just plug it in once.

But Why does it do that anyways?
  9. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    You might have faulty wiring right there. I'd say get a professional electrician to look at it and repair it. But for right now, my advice would be to not plug anything in there.
  10. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I'm looking at an old iMac cord that I know is good. Ten bucks.