iMac G3 "333MHz" - Max Hard Drive Upgrade

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slooksterPSV, Jan 6, 2005.

1. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

2. macrumors 65816

strider42

the max formatted size is 127 gigs. so something a bit bigger than that will give you the maximum size when you take formatting into account. see djonmac.com for instructions and hints on the upgrade.

3. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I think 120GB is the Maximum size for a hard drive. If you install OS X you will have to partition it so that you start off of the first 8 GiB, or 7.4 GB. (Call it 7GB to play it safe)

4. macrumors 65816

strider42

good point. actually, its a good idea to make an OS partition contained within the first 8 gigs even if you are running OS 9 on it. Os 9 doesn't have to be on a partition wholl contained within the first 8 gigs like Os X, but the system files must reside there. So if you don't partitoin and the drive gets relaly fragmented, it won't boot. Also, it bears keeping in mind that you can make the partition substantially smaller than 8 gigs as well, in case you want to have multiple bootable partitions for whatever reason.

5. macrumors 6502

Mertzen

Just buy a 120GB now .. they are dirt cheap and better then the old 40 GB or 60GB ones you can still find ..

6. macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'd say, two partitions:
    1) 7 GB, OS X install
    2) the rest, misc. files

but if you are planning on doing some PS work on it, or perhaps video :)eek: ) work, then I'd say this:
    1) 7 GB, OS X install
    2) 42 GB, Misc. Documents
    3) the rest, PS/Video scratch disk (this way, you can wipe this partition clean numerous times so that your video and PS files don't get fragmented)

Remember to update your iMac's Firmware before installing OS X, otherwise, bad juju! And I mean bad juju. So use the OS 8 or 9 install already on there to do the firmware update, then swap the drives for your new OS X one which needs to be installed.