iMac G3 and OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mmzplanet, Jan 19, 2007.

1. mmzplanet macrumors regular

mmzplanet

I have an Indigo iMac G3 that I got for my little one to play around with. It has OS 9.2 installed on it but I would like to put OS X on it. Which version (.2, .3, or .4) of OS X do you reccommend. Of course Tiger would be great but after all he is only 5 years old. The specs are 400Mhz, 1GB RAM, and 10GB HDD (will get larger 40 HDD soon I hope).

2. FDX macrumors regular

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My old G3 iMac ran Panther great on 384MB – I upgraded to a G5 before Tiger came out, But i reckon it would have done alright with that too. One of the key things is to have plenty of RAM in there – the 1GB you have is a good amount. The hard dive size is a little on the low side at the moment, so the upgrade you're looking at there will be beneficial.

4. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

5. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

6. mmzplanet thread starter macrumors regular

mmzplanet

Thanks for the info everyone... I did put Jaguar on it and it is running surprisingly well. If i upgrade it to Panther or Tiger... will it slow up any? Only asking because I hear that newer versions of OS X can be faster than the previous.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

As I mentioned, I ran Panther on my iMac with no problems whatsoever – it was snappy enough for my liking. I'd agree with FDX and Steven1621 that 10.3.9 should serve you perfectly well.

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

when I went from jaguar to panther on a similar imac, it seemed a tad quicker......but who knows if that was real.......it certainly wasn't slower

I haven't bothered to upgrade it to tiger because of the cost

9. d-fi macrumors member

I'm running Tiger on my G3

i have a powermac G3 300Mhz with 320 mb RAM and i'm running tiger without any worries

The only 2 adjustments that i have made are:
    1. Disable spotlight since indexing can take a lot of cpu power on a G3 and the indexing usually starts just when you don't want it too.
    2. Disable widgets since i only have a little bit of ram, plus widgets use extra reasources when running as well.
    I installed EasyFind to make up for the lack of spotlight.

Basicly i can run any normal (not resource intensive) program i want to i just try to only run one thing at a time. The only multitasking that i do is running iTunes while running something else.

here are the main things that i run on my G3:

• Microsoft Word
    • Azureus (use the G3 as my torrenting machine sometimes)
    • Safari
    • iTunes 4 (the one that comes with tiger)
    fairly basic but it works great as a second computer :)

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Panther will definitely speed it up. I certainly speed up out G3 266 (with less RAM than you have).

It is a much more refined OS and runs quicker on old machines.

I'm not sure about Tiger though. Haven't had any experience with that on older machines.

11. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

Probably 10.3. It's relatively new and runs most shareware games and stuff, but won't slow you down with "extras" like Dashboard and stuff.

At least that's what I've heard. I wouldn't know what 10.4 is like on a G3.

12. d-fi macrumors member

When i put Tiger on my G3 originally i was a bit hesitant since Panther was working fine but i figured i could always go back to Panther if it didn't work out.

Speedwise Tiger doesn't feel any faster then Panther (not like Jaguar to Panther) but it doesn't feel any slower either.

The only thing that didn't work that great was spotlight which doesn't bother me since i'm not a fan of spotlight anyway, turn off spotlight install EasyFind problem solved. Now Dashboard (aka widgets) worked fine and i like widgets and while widgets don't use much CPU power they love RAM. But since my computer is low on RAM to begin with i decided to disable Dashboard until i can get some more RAM for cheap.

Now there was some bonuses switching to Tiger i now have a RSS reading Safari which i love and there are also a few small programs that i use that only work in tiger. (older versions available for Panther)

My advice for OS X on a G3 is use either Panther or Tiger whatever is easier to get your hands on.

Panther is ready to go out of the box on a G3 but lacks things like RSS Safari and Dashboard and as Panther gets older more programs are Tiger only.

Tiger might take a little tweaking if your G3 is slow, i.e. Spotlight seems a bit slow on some G3's. But Tiger has all the extra features and your will programs run the same speed as on Panther.

either option is good IMHO

:)