iMac G3 and OSX

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by zap2, Jan 25, 2006.

1. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i have a 333 Mhz iMac G3 that i want to run OSX on

i have only a CD drive on it , and was wondering is there anyway to hook up my iMac G5 or iBook up to it to use there DVD drive? Or is there a way to take my DVD OSX copy and burn it to a CD?

Thanks

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

Not sure if this will work, but your ibook should be able to start up as a firewire drive (assuming your imac has firewire). I don't know if OS9 can read a target drive comp, though.

Otherwise, you'd need cds. You can get them for $10 from Apple if you have a registered DVD version of OSX. I highly suggest not putting 10.4 on an imac G3 333mHz anyhow, as it will run slow as hell. The best OSX for that machine would be, in my opinion, 10.2, though 10.3 will run ok on it (I have 10.3 on a G3 400mHz imac and it's a little slow, but ok)...

3. zap2 thread starter macrumors 604

zap2

iMac does not have FW, i might just pic up CD OS X on ebay

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You'll probably get it cheaper from Apple (whatever version came with your laptop, just write them and give them the reg number and get the discs). Otherwise, good luck!

EDIT: or you might be able to create a disc image of your dvd and burn it to cd.

5. California macrumors 68040

California

Or you could pick up a Sonnet Harmoni Firewire card and add firewire and 600mhz to your old iMac G3

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

10.2 and 10.3 came on CD's. In fact I have some 10.2.3 CD's. :D