1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iMac G3 CD Drive Woes

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by magarwal1217, Mar 26, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Well, I bought a used iMac G3, 350 mHz, no FireWire.

I thought I would easily be able to install Panther on it since I have the CDs, but I encountered a slight problem. The iMac won't accept my CDs! Everytime I push the CD to the slot-drive, I encounter resistance and it won't go in. I tried doing the holding click during restart and even the manual eject pin, but nothing came out, so I assume the drive just won't accept the CDs. Is there anything I can do to fix the problem so I can install Panther (I need to update my website with critical information using iLife). Do I have to take the computer to the Apple Store to get fixed, or do I need to buy a new drive to put in it?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post, I'm just flustered that I might have bought a useless computer.

2. macrumors newbie

If I need to, I found this slot-loading drive that I hope (tell me it will) will work if I need to replace the drive.

3. macrumors 68040

California

I'll sell you a good cd rom iMac CD drive for 12 bucks shipped. Let me know.

4. macrumors newbie

Well, is that the problem? And is it slot-loading?

5. macrumors newbie

Yay! I got the internet working on my fully functional, yet un-updateable iMac! I just had to fiddle with the TCP/IP settings.