iMac G3, DVD+R problem...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by the dairy giant, Jan 3, 2005.

1. the dairy giant macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2004
    I archived some work onto DVDs, from my old g3 iMac 400DV. I copied the files to a borrowed g4 iMac using firewire and target disk mode.

I had no problem burning the files onto blank DVD+R disks, but i have just checked all 5 disks in my iMac, and it just spits them out, no message, no nothing. :eek:

From what I have just searched out on the web, DVD+R is a pretty old, common format. I would have thought the 5 year old imac would handle them OK.

Does anyone know if this is a limitaion of the drive in the iMac, or maybe a problem with the disks (which burnt and verified fin eon the newer iMac).

I don't have access to any other computer to check the disks on at the moment

2. Veldek macrumors 68000

Mar 29, 2003
    I think the G3 iMac cannot read DVD+R. This format was introduced to the Macintosh platform not so long ago. You have to use DVD-R.
  3. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
    i dont know your exact model of computer so these may not be relevant or seem stupid :eek: nothing new...

a. do you have a dvd reader in your computer - most of the older ones do, if you do what model is it? some only like dvd-r
    b. they are just plain bog standard disks? no overburning? not dual layered etc.

sorry i couldn't be more help, i know somebody else will be able to answer it!

btw, i thought that DVD-R where the standard these days, anybody really know whats happening in the world of dvd's? i just keep buying the same mitsubishi DVD-R's which do ok for everything.
  4. the dairy giant thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2004

I don't know much about the DVD formats either. The iMac definitely plays ordinary DVD videos, so I suspect it must be the DVD+R that is the issue.

The DVDs I bought were the cheapest branded ones I could find, I thought as long as they weren't RW it would be OK. I guess not.
  5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2004
    DVD+R = no no on mac ..

I don't think they are even supported in the iApps or Finder .. it is just so much easier going with DVD-R ..
  6. the dairy giant thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2004
    yet the disks appeared to burn and verify OK on the G4 iMac...
  7. zaphoyd macrumors regular

Jun 25, 2002
    DVD+R is a newer less common format actually. It is pretty compatible with newer players and computer drives, but the compatibility is very bad with older computers and older dvd players. go for DVD-R for maximum compatibility.