iMac G3 HDD Upgrade... cloning!?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Bakey, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Bakey macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2003
    O Donny Boy
    Hi there

I'm in need of upgrading the HDD of our iMac G3...

"No problem!" I hear you cry.

Well, although I've found numerous articles of how to conduct the whole process of swapping out the old for the new, I'm a little "stuck/confused" on the issue of cloning.

You see it's like this, the current HDD has three partitions [10.3.6, 10.1.x and 9.2] -- we develop multimedia and as such wish to confine the three OS variants when developing & testing.

Again, I've searched this exhaustive wealth of information and advice [ie. this forum] but I'm not entirely sure I can do what is needed. What I'm after is a cloning utility that will dump the entire drive [all three partitions] somewhere nice and safe ready for me to rebuild on to the new drive.

Now it's time for "confession time!!"

For my sins I'm first and foremost a Windows user [not by choice I hasten to add...] -- but on the dark side I would use Drive Image to make an image file of the entire drive/partitions, etc., and simply rebuild said image on the new drive...

Will the likes of Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper allow me to do to the iMac what I would typically do to a Windows machine?

Many thanks in advance :)
  2. Jsmit macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2004
    Disk Utility can make disk images. It comes with OSX and can be found in /Applications/Utilities/ . Toast can also make disk images, but costs about $100 (it can be found for less). I'm sure there are other programs too, but those are the two I have. There must be a way to make a disk image through the Unix terminal too.
  3. rstroud macrumors regular

Mar 22, 2004
    Try works like a charm! I'm on sloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwww dialup or else I'd search for it!
  4. pncc macrumors regular

Jul 23, 2002
    I would agree on CCC. It works well. However, it and no utility I know will copy a whole drive across partitions. You will HAVE to copy/clone each partition separately. Just create the partitions you want on the new drive and CCC the data to the new partitions.
  5. Bakey thread starter macrumors 6502

Oct 6, 2003
    O Donny Boy
    Thanks for the advice fellas.

Out of curiosity, would it be possible to hook up an iBook and boot the iMac in target mode and thereafter clone and restore to and from the iMac via CCC on the iBook?

I know this is a little too specific, but I'm thinking if possible it may make my life a helluva lot easier!! ;)