iMac G3 Internet driveing me nuts

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by fatandlazy11, Mar 24, 2006.

1. macrumors member

fatandlazy11

I just recently got my imac G3 on the web, but it really annoy's me. For one thing, I only have OS 8.5, so i cant do all that much. 2nd, It has IE 4 on it, and many websites i know require 4.8 or above. I cant find a website where i can get a version of IE 5, sice Micros**t stopped supporting IE for macs. 3rd, and worst of all, I am the ONLY one who can be using the internet. I share a connection with 2 other windows computers, and the Mac simply refuses to find the Protocall, unless it is the ONLY thing hooked up to the Ethernet hub. For instance, I cant surf the web while my mom's computer is even CONNECTED to the hub. is there any way to fix all this? (besides the first complaint, im ok with that)

2. macrumors 68040

applemacdude

upgrade to 8.6 or even 9

3. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You could try iCab.

http://www.icab.de/dl.php

I have a copy of Internet Explorer for Classic that I pulled off of my OS 9 applications folder.

IE 5 Classic

It might run on your machine. And I have a 9.2.1 disc for sale if you want it. You can upgrade your machine to 8.6 for free.

4. tag
    macrumors 6502a

tag

Here is a link to the browser archive at browser.evolt (specifically the IE for Mac section), hopefully one of those will work for you. The main archive should also have some other browser versions which should work with your system, such as Netscape and the like.

5. macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Upgrade to 9.22

Sell the Hub (USELESS IN THIS DAY AND AGE!) and buy a router, much better

And buy some more RAM.

6. thread starter macrumors member

fatandlazy11

Thanks you guys, but i found a version of IE 5 on www.oldapps.com , and this also solved the multiuser thing. As for the OS, well, I'll just deal with it :)

7. macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

10.3 Panther???

Dude, I am absolutely not an expert on old Macs -- but two weeks ago I upgraded a friend's old 1999 iMac DV G3 400Mhz/128MB/13GB from 9.0.2 to 10.3.9. It took about three hours and believe it or not it was kind of fun. Surprisingly it is completely usable for pretty much everything, although I wouldn't be running Garageband on it. I added 256MB RAM for a total of 384MB which is the minimum I'd recommend for Panther. It's now running Mail, Safari (and/or Firefox, Camino, etc) without breaking a sweat. It is something you should seriously consider.

PS -- If you've got this Rev.C., you're good to go:
    http://www.apple-history.com/?page=gallery&model=imacrevc&performa=off&sort=date&order=ASC