iMac G3 logic board-VGA conversion

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by northernleitz, Oct 10, 2005.

1. northernleitz macrumors member

Anyone know of a quick, easy, or otherwise doable way to convert the video-out connection on the slot-loading iMac logic board to VGA? I was sort of looking around for a nice adaptor cable, but have not found anything yet. A link to an online resource regarding which wires do what would also be helpful.

What am I up to?

http://homepage.mac.com/northernleitz/Sites/comiclife/index.html

Click on the "ColorClassiX" link

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Umm...

So, the iMac doesn't have a mini vga out?

Or are you trying to change the video out INTERNALLY?

3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

4. northernleitz thread starter macrumors member

This was one of the iMacs that were slot-loading but weren't set up for video mirroring. There has to be a way. There must be!

I find plenty of stuff about adapting 1st-gen (tray loading) iMacs to other monitors but nothing on these slot loaders. I'll take another look at the video tomorrow but am pretty sure there is no VGA out.

5. northernleitz thread starter macrumors member

The motherboard has a connection that goes directly to the installed monitor. I want to convert this connection to a standard VGA connection. I am installing the motherboard into a color classic, which will (someday) house either a 10" CRT VGA monitor or a touch-sensitive VGA LCD monitor.

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

7. Jsmit macrumors regular

My slot loading iMac has VGA out. It is hidden behind a pannel on the back. The pannel is just above the little door you open to access the RAM. My iMac actually came with a replacement pannel wich has a hole on it so you can access the VGA out.

8. northernleitz thread starter macrumors member

I too have an iMac with VGA out... but it is still working. I can't really justify tearing into a working computer to remove some little part so I can make my little hobby project work. But when that computer's monitor does go, I have an LCIII set aside to receive its guts....

There's a connection between the motherboard and the monitor with a bevy of color-coded wires inside.... I was hoping someone could tell me which wires correspond to the wires on a vga connector. But I think my best bet might be to find one of these VGA mirroring ports off eBay and make that work somehow.