iMac g3, Paradyne Router and DSL (help)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ruddbow, Apr 8, 2004.

1. ruddbow macrumors newbie

Hello, new to the site. I have a g3 iMac and wanted to upgrade to DSL. I called and set up an appointment for install (keep in mind I am in rural Iowa) The installer came and worked his magic and it (router) tests fine for his PC laptop. The LED's on the router all test and are on and flashing appropriately (according to manual) My problem is I have never connected via DSL and if I understand correctly it is "always on" I try to open Explorer but it just continues to cycle until the proverbial error box comes up. I have talked with others more knowledgable than myself and some have suggested going under the TCP/IP and letting the machine itseld choose the IP address under DHCP. I am in the process of ordering a Airport base station along with an Extreme card for my newly purchased PB g4 but want to experience this new faster connection before those items arrive. The installer did the "back feeding" of the phone line and all looks like a correct install........anyone else experience this before? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

2. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

I don't know A LOT about it, but it seems like there's something wrong with your settings, not your router, line, etc. Are you using OSX or OS9?

3. ruddbow thread starter macrumors newbie

9.2.1 is the Operating Software. I have to keep it in the 9 range because the plotter I cut vinyl with does not support OSX. Thanks.

4. ruddbow thread starter macrumors newbie

update

I have tried just about all I can. Emptied TCIP/IP prefs, Appletalk prefs, finder prefs, Reset the volatal ram, Reset the Parameter ram and rebuilt the desktop. Chose Manual Config with Ethernet....all IP addresses are correct. I even swapped the imac with another imac and it still has no response when trying to open a url. So this test would rule out a bad Eithernet port. PLEASE.......anyone have any information? I downloaded 9.2.2 OS to see if that would make a difference, we'll see if that improves anything.