imac g3 runs fine. but no net connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mbainz, Jan 12, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

hi. i am just trying to get my old indigo g3 imac 350 working for my kids to use and everything seems to be working fine except that it wont hook up to the net through an ethernet cable. i have done a re-install and i can open either explorer or netscape which works fine but wont allow me access online. i can remember when i was using it that i just plugged it in and it hooked every thing up for me. I have run first aid and get " problem: invalid catalog, 4,0." . checking this out it looks terminal but i cant see why everything else works except allowing me access. any thoughts appreciated.:confused: :confused:

2. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

cmos chip that controls ethernet may be fried, I have a G3 500 that was hit by lightning through my cable modem and it has no ethernet. If that is your problem you do have alternatives like airport.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks . do you know any i can test it before i fork out for a card.

4. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I dont and wish I did so I could be 100% certain thats my problem. You do have a modem built into that mac so you could use the phone line:eek:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

what about those wireless usb adapters. a lot cheaper than an airport card. any experiance?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

tried hooking up through dial-up but it wouldnt let me set the tcp /ip numbers which it said i had to. alert came up saying that another program was using them or they were locked. but i wasnt running anything else and i cant see how to unlock them????????