iMac G3 Wireless help and a few little Q's

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by millar876, Oct 22, 2006.

1. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

Hi, i just managed to snag myself an iMac G3 450MHz indago for £60 and im looking to add wereless to it. i think it has an airport slot, BUT the only airport cards i can find are about the same price as i payed for the imac. Can anyone tell me of any other ways of making this iMac join the wireless network i've already got (Airport Extreme Base station a/b/g). I can run an ethernet cable from my 20" imac for a while but thats not ideal.

Anything that works would be nice

imac G3 specs : 450 MHz G3, 60GB HDD, 256MB ram CD.
    That in mind whats the best OS to put on it. I have boxed versions of 10.1 10.2 10.3 & 10.4 and am not averse to getting some cheap PC100 for it (or whatever it takes)

Thanks in advance

2. Xenesis macrumors regular

Xenesis

Well, you could get your hands on the said airport card: Make sure it has a converter, otherwise it won't work in the iMac.

I guess any USB-Based wireless solutions could work as well, but I'm not sure.

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hi there,

I once used the D-Link DWL-122 with a very similar machine and it worked fine. This was an 802.11b device so speed wasnt the best (you are limited by your internet connection to that amount anyway), but it is very good if you don't want to pay £80 for an airport card.

There is also an 802.11g device you can use which is also USB, but I think that this isn't worth it as the max speed of your USB on that machine is 11MBPS anyway, so you are not going to need a 54MBPS wireless device.

Do a search for the above, there is a driver download to make it work on the Mac. It is available here: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15997

Don't use the original drive which comes with the device as there are many problems with it. The link above gives you the latest version for it. The D-Link can be picked up for less than £20. If you don't have any luck, you can have mine for £12 (I'm in Aberdeen and would be happy to post it to you).

Good Luck, David

4. millar876 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millar876

Thanks for the info but the guy emailed offering to add it in for £10:)