iMAC G3 Wirless networking help!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by c36captain, Dec 7, 2004.

1. c36captain macrumors newbie

Dec 7, 2004
    I just purchased a 400mhz iMac DV for my son that wanted to do some iMOVIE with our camera, and was hoping this computer could be added to our existing Wirless 811.b network (his room is not near a physical jack). I'm looking to understand my options (if any) - USB? - Any kind of card with Wireless ...

Can they join the 811.b network or does the Apple need it's own base station?

He has 9 and 10 OS

Thanks for any help and/or suggestions ... I was hoping a 3rd party Mac OS card of some sort would allow connection to the existing wireless network ...

2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Your best bet would be to grab a USB or ethernet-to-wireless adapter for the iMac. They are pretty simple to set up and should allow you to hop on to your existing wireless network without any problems.

3. diamond geezer macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    You can still get Apple's original Airport card (802.11b) on ebay, although Apple don't produce them anymore. Make sure yu also buy the iMac Airport Adapter card.

My flatmate uses her PowerBook with Airport to connect to our Belkin router, no probs.