1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

iMac G3 won't pickup IBM DeskStar 30gb 75GXP Hard Drive

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tomacintosh, Mar 29, 2006.

1. macrumors regular

I've just got the iMac working again by fitting a new PAV Board. Well I've got a Combo drive from an iBook in it, and also this new hard drive. Trouble is, whenever I boot from my Panther installation disc, and go into Disk Utility, the hard drive doesn't show up at all. I've tried it set as a Master, and this way the iMac won't boot from the CD. If I set the hard drive to Slave, then it will boot from the CD.

What's wrong?

iMac Graphite ~ 600MHz G3 ~ 512mb ram ~ 30Gb HDD(hopefully)

2. macrumors 68000

kgarner

It has to be set to master to install the OS. To boot from the CD with it set to master you just hold down the c key when you boot up.

3. macrumors regular

See I hold down C everytime. How long are you meant to hold it? When I hold it down and the hard drive is set to master I just get the folder with ? icon flashing.

Do you think the Combo drive is set to master and is messing things up? I can't see any jumpers on it.

4. macrumors 68000

kgarner

I don't know how long you have to hold it, but I just hold it until the computer boots from the CD. The Combo drive should not be an issue. This is a strange problem to be sure.