iMac G3

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by jamesW135, Mar 12, 2006.

1. jamesW135 macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I got a free iMac G3 450 mhz DV with a DVD drive. Besides playing DVD's what should I do with this thing?

Any ideas?

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

File server
    Music server or Jukebox
    Linux box?
    OS X box
    Old school gaming machine ( ok ... maybe not)
    Object D'art :D

Or donate it to place that might need it. I remember Duffman (name?) always suggesting that.

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

whatever happen to Duffman?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I found StarCraft at CompUSA for $9.99. It'll play that JUST fine. :p

Still, what OS are you running on it? Can you figure out what firmware it has? How much are you willing to spend on it?

5. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    Yeah, id turn it into a music server, or a retro game machine.

6. jamesW135 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I tried installing panther on it but it dosn't work it says you need to restart for the install to start. I do that but then nothing installs?:confused:

7. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

9. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

10. jamesW135 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

I tried the FirmWare; I followed all of the steps that it tells you to do I still get a message saying it wasn't installed. Does the Moc OSX CD need to be in at the time of installation? HELP!:confused:

11. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Are you trying to install Mac OS X? If so what version... BTW: This is not a Apple Collectors item :rolleyes:

12. jamesW135 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

13. DoogieWoogie macrumors member

upgrade the imac G3?

I've got the same type of imac - I recently upgraded the ram to 1GB (2 x 512MB) and installed tiger on it. But it did cost me approx £200 (£120 for ram, £80 for tiger); I suppose I could have got a better spec'd mac mini for £200 more.

14. jamesW135 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jamesW135

Yeah, I would have this replace grandmas old computer. But her old computer is a new Dell.:mad: Why Grandma WHY!

15. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

We have three fully running G3 imacs in the office, they're rad, actually. Panther totally flies on them. One of them will become a file server and phone network (using PhoneValet) in the near future.

16. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You could always part it out and send the motherboard and DVD-ROM drive to me. :D Or sell em to me, whatever floats your boat. :)

17. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

I use mine for classic Mac Gaming, and light e-mailing and internet. I Like to see what these Macs can do. Go upgrade to 9.1 (If you don't already have it) and get iTunes on there.

18. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

A 450mhz iMac G3 doesn't qualify as a retro machine... since it is still compatible with Tiger, iLife, iWork, etc...

Use it as a slower, second computer somewhere in your house, or give to family member. If you put Tiger on it I'm sure you'll be surprised at how fast it actually runs.

19. madmax_2069 macrumors 6502a

madmax_2069

tiger proforms well on my Beige G3 AIO with a 466mhz cpu and 448mb ram and a radeon 7000. every once again i find somthing that will bog it down a bit (AKA skype) but other than that it proforms well even the onboard video proforms at a good speed , altho no where near the speed that the radeon 7000 proforms. all around better than OS X jag in the proformance department.

the only thing i will gripe about with tiger is it will not use my pioneer dvr-110D (PC version) correctly, i have to boot with a cd in the drive before i can use it and even then its limited. i had no problems with this drive in jag or OS 9.2.2 with it not working i can burn in OS 9.2.2 with a modded Pioneercdr authoring support extension, and i can burn in OS X 10.2 - 10.2.8 with patchburn so i dont know why tiger fails to use the drive other than the fact that there is a apple branded version of the DVR-110D available with a apple modded firmware and tiger maybe trying to use the drive as the apple version ,who knows

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I have a rev A iMac (233mhz) that sits on my desk next to me. I use it for light browsing, old games, Virtual PC (ver. 4) and other basic junk. One of these days I might put 10.1 on it. I wish it had better speakers 'cause then it would make a good juke box.

G3 iMacs in Japan sell for like $0.10 since no one wants them anymore. I got 2 iMacs & a beige G3 Tower for $30 :rolleyes: If I tried to sell any of them now, I'd get $1 if I was lucky :(

21. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Well you guy's get all the cool gadgets and such way before us, but it is still sad to see how cheap macs can get used!

I would love to get a G3 iMac, My mom could use one in her house to play MP3 audio in her kitchen / dining room (were she does her painting and sculpting) . I keep watching for them on craigslist and hope to score a good one for a low price :) .

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

It's actually sad to browse through auctions and see all those unwanted iMacs :( I'd buy more if I have any space for them, but I've already got 3 :rolleyes:

iTunes 2 runs on OS 9, so you could put that on. Then just run an ethernet cable and you've got yourself a jukebox :cool: The iMac DV? has good bass-y speakers- see if you can get your hands on one of those.

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Those were good times for Apple, well now is too, but back then Apple was returning from the grave as some have stated. I have some keynote videos from 1997 and 1998, They are by far my most favorite to watch as when they unveiled systems from those times, people reacted awesomely, and the industrial designs were like nothing before :) .

The iMac DV-SE is the top choice on my list. I would like to buy 2 of them, one for myself (collector you know :) ), and I would also one for my mom. I hear that the Harmon Kardon speakers are quite good, and sound awesome if you can get your hands on the USB Subwoofer option.

24. aquajet macrumors 68020

Do you a link to download the keynote unveiling of the original iMac? I've never seen it and would love to.