iMac G3s & OSX ???

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sharla67, Apr 5, 2005.

1. sharla67 macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2005
    I have an older grape iMac. If I install OSX (Panther) will it perform properly if I have enough memory and if so, how much memory will it need?
  2. gallivant macrumors member

Dec 14, 2004
    What are the specs on it?

At the office, we've got a grape tray-loading iMac with a 233mhz processor, but it can only handle 10.2. Also, you'll need at least 128 MB of RAM.

Why not check Apple's own information on the topic?
  3. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    All iMacs will run Panther.
    Make sure your firmware is up to date. Despite the "official" min of RAM being 128MB, I'd suggest a bare minumum RAM of 256MB, but more is better (a lot better). Also, make sure you have at least a 20GB hard disk. Anything smaller and you'll be hitting the ceiling often and hard.
  4. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I have both a 233MHz iMac and a 333MHz (Blueberry) iMac running Mac OS X.3.8. Both have 256MB of RAM with a 6GB Hard Drive. Both run quite well actually. Now these aren't going to be power houses so if you want to use something like iMovie you won't want to use your iMac. It does however run OS X great and is good for getting online, chatting, checking email, and running Microsoft Office. No problems what so ever there.

I would definitely upgrade to 256MB. 128 just won't cut it. If its a tray loading iMac then you'll need to get SODIMMs, but its a slot loading you'll need to get PC133 DIMMs. Either version will hold 256. The tray loading one will may require you to get 2 128MB SODIMMs instead of just one 256MB SODIMM.

Mac OS X.3 actually runs better than OS X.2 in my opinion. It boots up much faster and runs the whole OS much faster.
  5. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002