iMac G4 1.0ghz 17" more than 1gb of memory?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by diamond3, Jan 29, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

I am looking to upgrade the current memory in my iMac. It has 512 (2x256) and it says it supports up to 1gb total. However, i have been searching all over this forum seeing if it is possible to have more. Like if I added a 1gb sodimm to get it to 1.2gb. I have seen very little on this as I have searched these threads. Let me know.

Also, is the upgrade in memory really going to help me out? I really notice the slowdown in iMovie. I have been watching the activity monitor and even though the cpu can get up to 100%, the free memory will be down to 4 mb.

oh ya, I am running 10.3.9. When i update the os, with a clean install, will i see any improvements without additional memory? Or will i need more memory just to keep tiger or possibly leopard running good? Thanks

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

If you feel compelled to reinstall your OS, its likely to make it a little more snappy. Don't expect it to be like reinstalling Windows though..

As you seem to know, OS X loves memory. Tiger and Leopard take it one step further by having a full blown affair. That isn't to say that Macs are memory hogs, just that todays applications are becoming more complex and yadda yadda.

Upgrading to 2X512 will speed up you system when multitasking or using media apps like iMovie. The iMac G4 only supports up to 1GB RAM. :(

3. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ya, i thought you could only have up to 1gig of memory but then i have seen a few posts like this on this forum.

ex. I have a 1Ghz G4 iMac with 1.25gb RAM and I'm very happy with it. I use iLife to the fullest and I also edit video in FCE and use Soundtrack Pro. I just finished a 30 minute short film, all done on this machine.

then later post:
    If it's the same RAM as the ibook G4 (pc2100U), then it's an inaccurate spec, as my ibook maxes out at 684 according to apple but I have 1.12 gigs running smoothly.

It is all of this stuff, plus websites like these that are making me wonder if I could put in a 1 gig to help my imac out. It would be really nice because I need more memory because of all the video editing I am doing and I am not in the situation to buy a new one yet.

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/memory/upgrade.asp?cid=15512
    http://www.oempcworld.com/Apple/iMac_G4.htm
    http://www.macramfinder.com/
    http://www.macobserver.com/article/2003/09/09.11.shtml

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can handle DDR memory on that machine. OS X loves to eat RAM. Getting more would be great on a still capable machine.

5. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

My biggest concern was that it states on apples website that this computer only supports up to 1 gig. These other sites say otherwise, I just don't know how sure they are.

As far as encoding though like in iDVD, more memory won't really make a big difference right?

6. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

I can't answer the iMovie question, but Apple's original 1 GB "maximum" value was based on the fact that only 512 MB SO-DIMMs were available at the time that iMac was released; you could get 1 GB at the time by getting 512 MB in the "factory" slot as a build to order option and adding a 512 stick of your own. It is also worth checking out to see if you can even replace the factory-installed RAM at all; I don't know how tamper-proof Apple made it (it's very possible that Apple soldered it in, as they often choose to do :(). Either way, you can definitely add a 1 GB S0-DIMM and get 1.25 GB of RAM running in your iMac.

7. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

It is likely to make a difference.

8. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

For encoding things more memory will DEFINATLY be noticable.

9. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the explanation. Now if my parents can make a decision. The thing is, I am the one making all the movies. They don't realize the difference in the computer when all they do is read email, browse internet, etc.