iMac G4 1.25 vs. iMac G5 1.8

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by dferigmu, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

The only real difference between the two is price ($1099 vs. $1399) and CPU. Also, the G4 is certified reconditioned.

Does it make sense to go backwards in technology to get the reconditioned iMac because I absolutely love how it looks?

Or is that thinking dumb and should I just go for the new G5?

2. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

The G5 is more powerful, and if you can spend the extra 300 go for it.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Yes it's backward thinking...

The new iMac G5 gives you easy access to the memory (both DIMMs), HD, optical drive, etc. The old iMac G4 is an extremely closed box (especially if you opt for AppleCare.)

Of course there are the people who would never give up their Cube, original Beetle, lime green leisure suit, etc.

So style may be important -- if you don't mind living in the past.

4. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

To be honest i love the new modle much more, i have one in my office and the more i use it the more i love it. $300 is not much for the G5 and you could always sell it for more if you decide to sell it later.

5. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

How about a refurbished 1.6GHz iMac G5 for $1099? They come up once in a while on apples site.

6. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'm kind of wary about refurbished iMac G5's because they probably had fan/power supply issues.

7. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

It's really a matter of design vs power for you. I sold my G4 iMac and bought a G5 iMac.....but I had 2 G4 iMacs for 2 1/2 yrs....so I had the chance to use the G4's for a long time. I loved them......much better looking than the G5's. Since I had the chance to use them I felt it was time to move on (I wanted the 250GB of internal storage....I just don't want to always have to listen to my Ext FWHD.....and I had the 1GHz G4 iMac so I was ready to step it up in power considering my 17" 1.33GHz PowerBook was a lot faster than my G4 iMac). I love the G5 iMac too.....it's just not as beautiful as the G4. After almost 2 months I still find myself reaching for the bottom of the screen to move it:)

8. brap macrumors 68000

That's had. Personally I'd much rather trust a returned unit which has been looked at and fixed, than one which has come straight out of Taiwan (or wherever these are sourced) - although in reality you're probaby running the same percentage risk of getting a dud with either.

9. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, you also can't have it BTO.

10. brap macrumors 68000

This really depends on whether money and time are issues; you could wait until a refurb comes in with your configuration, or you can buy a new one at ~$300+.
    Isn't the only item that's not basically user-installable anyway Bluetooth? - You can get parts much cheaper than the installed Apple options.

Anyway, you know the issuses important to you. Let us know what you decide.

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk