Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
USA
Hi I own only 1 apple product its a 2010 quad core i7.

So any ways I want to feel more ''geekier'' so I was going to buy a top of the line G4 to start my Apple collection but was wondering what risks I take when buying one.

Are the G4's screens reliable?

I would be kinda scared like after 1 year of buying a G4 a dead pixel would show or something.

And I was going for a G5 but they have logic board issues .

I'm mainly buying it for surfing the web. And the anti-glare screen.

Another thing I was wondering was can the magic mouse or trackpad work with the G4 with a driver??

Thanks

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The old iMac G4s are good machines, I have always wanted one. I don't think that the magic mouse may work if you install 10.5, I think those iMacs were supported, the magic trackpad needs 10.6 so it won't work though. I think the screens are pretty good, but you do have a chance of dead pixels when you are buying a display that old, maybe buy one locally that you can check out before you buy if it's a big concern for you.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I've been looking on my local Craigslist for months for a G4 iMac at a decent price....just love the design.

Finally found an 800MHz with 768M RAM a guy originally listed at $250, then $200, then $150....I offered him $100 and he took it. Good thing being local was I had him fire it up and played around with it for a few minutes before I paid.

Got it home and loaded Leopard on it, bumped the RAM to 1 GB with a DIMM I had laying around (blew all the dust out of the internals while I had it open), and changed out the 5400 rpm hard drive for a 7200 rpm one (again, I had laying around)...pimped it out about as much as I could without springing for a SSD. It's now a decent machine for browsing and email etc.

Good luck with your quest.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Dead pixels usually don't just appear on a 7 year old machine. They are generally made defective and stay that way for their life.

With that said, the iMac G4 is still a very nice machine. Especially if you can get your hands on the rare 20" version with has a much better IPS screen compared to the lower 17" or 15" models. I wouldn't bother getting one less than the 1.25ghz version.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
20" is my dream machine. It's extremely hard to get - there's not too many owners which want to get rid of it.
1.25 models (17" and 20") had only one common issue I know: failing FX5200 chip. I've had and seen few of them with this problem and only remedy I know is chip reballing/replacing.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the iMac g4 are pretty solid ,never heard about any screen problem with them whatsoever , and for screen size dont avoid the 15" screens just because they are small or only offer up to 1ghz , you want it as a nice design icon not as main computer so size or speed doesn't matter so much , i find them very cute with the small 15" screen , and practical if you want a iMac g4 somewhere in your house , the 15 inch fits everywhere in the smallest spots :)

and for the G5 hmm that is entirely Apples fault,not that they did fit the bad caps that happened to Dell too at that time , but dell did recall all effected pc's , but not Apple, despite they could have informed the owners that there is a repair scheme in place , when you get a Mac new or used you register with Apple don't you? when you install osx ypu put in your details ? so where was the problem to tell the owners "hello we are sorry but your iMac has very likely bad capacitors, please come in the nearest apple store and get the logicboard replaced " ,
Apple knew exactly which iMac's are effected , but they did nothing unless you had the failing capacitors and went into a apple store until 2008 and did specifically ask about the repair scheme if yours had been out of warranty / apple care .....but sadly as only a small percentage of owners did ever hear about the repair scheme thanks to apples customer support ,there are a lot of time bombs out there called iMac G5

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2009
The magic mouse works perfectly on 10.5.8 with the wireless mouse update installed. I'm using mine with the ioGear micro usb bluetooth dongle and my eMac. :)

20" is my dream machine. It's extremely hard to get - there's not too many owners which want to get rid of it.

I want one of those and an iMac g3 700mhz! :(

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
The magic mouse works perfectly on 10.5.8 with the wireless mouse update installed. I'm using mine with the ioGear micro usb bluetooth dongle and my eMac. :)

I want one of those and an iMac g3 700mhz! :(

:) the iMac G3 700mhz is great i have one , they are rare ,because most did not buy one because the iMac G4 was in the pipelines , so a lot people did wait for the G4 and people who still have one dont want to part with them , its rarer then the iMac G4 20" i believe, as these turn up quiet frequently , but not noticeable slower then the iMac G4 700mhz if you dont use programs who can take full advantage of the altivec engine in the G4:D
i love mine , but it took nearly a whole year to find one ,it runs extremely silent , no fans at all , just upgraded it to the full 1gb from 768 and its still a great Mac for every day use like surfing,emailing ,watching dvd's and movies streamed over ethernet and its just so sweet running in total silence nearly, the only thing i can hear is the Superdrive really , yes i upgraded that too ;)

wish you good luck on the search for one :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.