iMac G4 800 & Tiger Core Image

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by qwerty007, Apr 14, 2005.

1. qwerty007 macrumors newbie

I have a few questions. Does the graphics card in the iMac G4 800 (NVIDIA GeForce2 MX) have a GPU? Will this card support core image on the new tiger operating system or am i outta luck? Thanks.

2. Logik macrumors 6502a

that card NVIDIA GeForce2 MX is the GPU. GPU = Graphics Processing Unit, essentially your video card.

And no, it's not supported by CoreImage. You'll still be able to use Tiger, you'll still be able to use CoreImage but it will not send off processing to your video card (thus freeing up your processor for other things, not to mention video cards are "usually" much faster and doing image work than your G4 processor)

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'm a little confused about this... So you're saying I, with a uncompatible GPU (9200 in a Mac mini) will still see the fancy graphic effects in Tiger, it's just that it's handled by the processor not the GPU?

4. Logik macrumors 6502a

CoreImage doesn't mean fancy effects.

CoreImage will allow CERTAIN effects to be done in CPU (processor). However SOME of them require Shader support, those effects that require shader support, which mean you need a GPU, will not be rendered at all in CoreImage. Those that do not require Shader support and are trivial enough to not impede on your usability in OS X will be done within the CPU.

You get partial CoreImage support. Heck, some CoreImage effects will be done within the CPU regardless of whether you have a supported GPU or not. The GPU is only faster in certain instances, those other instances the CPU is faster. CoreImage determines which will do it faster and renders it appropriately (CPU or GPU).

5. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

So... which effects will I be missing on Tiger on my Mac? ;)

6. Logik macrumors 6502a

as i have not seen them all i can pretty much guarantee though that you will not get the ripple effect when you drop widgets onto dashboard. definite shader stuff there. The RSS screensaver also seems like it might be a rough one on the CPU. However, as i haven't used tiger i can't really comment on it. I'm sure we'll find out soon though :p but dont' count on the water ripple effect for sure.

EDIT:

oh and the reflection in iChat AV's video conference.

You can view both effects on the Tiger website. They have quicktime movies of each in action, which are pretty cool btw

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Good GOD

For the thousandth time...JUST BECAUSE YOUR GRAPHICS CARD DOES NOT SUPPORT CORE IMAGE...does not mean Tiger won't be a huge improvement. Like always, newer, faster and better-equipped computers will be able to do cooler things faster....but all will receive an improvement.

I would be willing to be that MOST of the people asking about Core Image have absolutely no clue what it is.

8. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Dude... chill. I knew I won't get the full CoreImage effect the day I bought the Mac mini, and I knew this still as I preordered Tiger from the educational store. I know the CoreImage effects aren't vital. I'm merely wondering what I'm missing, that's all.

9. Logik macrumors 6502a

ya... because the common everyday user just doesn't "need" to know about it. :-/ duh. don't be an a$$. I'm going to put together a nice little guide on CoreImage and hopefully it'll get posted as a sticky here.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Then please read the documentation first. CoreImage is able to use the CPU for ALL Image Units. They are written in a special language that gets compiled for specific GPU as well as CPU targets. The reason that some users will not see specific effects is down to the programmers deciding that if the effects will run on the CPU then not to use them. It does not mean that CoreImage would not be able to do it, simply that a decision has been taken not to hog the CPU for unnecessary eye candy.

11. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

This is the same argument that happened when OS X started using Quartz extreme. Now use a video card today on your mac that is not supported by Quartz extreme and see how SLOW it is to do anything. Yes, I can predict that if your video card does not support core image you will see a slowdown.

12. Logik macrumors 6502a

show me proof of this because last time i seen in the WWDC sessions they said it would only run certain things for CPU only as the CPU can't render the Shading end of things. Hence you don't get the ripple effect due to no shading in the video card.