iMac G4 800mhz vs PowerMac G5 DP2.0

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by leistnerm, Feb 10, 2005.

1. leistnerm macrumors newbie

I just ordered a refurb DP2.0 G5, my iMac is over 3 years old now and I got sick of waiting for a refresh and this should last me a good long time.

Anyways, I was wondering how much of a speed increase I should be looking forward to once it finally ships.. Will it be like night and day like I am hoping or just for some things? I typically use FCE and iDVD, a little iMovie and Photoshop.

Oh yeah, almost forgot I also ordered (2) 1 gig chips to bump the ram up to 2.5 gig and a sweet 20" flat screen. Can't wait!

Thanks!

Edit: Forgot, the iMac has 768mb of ram in it. It's served me well, time to pass it on to the inlaws, their Windows machine is getting slower by the minute.

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

3. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Insignificant, really. :rolleyes:

4. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

turn back now...

you made a huge mistake... should have asked us first. sorry man :( if you want to scrap it send it this way, i will even pay shipping.

5. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Yes, "night and day" is a good way of describing the difference you'll notice.

I recently upgraded from an 800MHz Powerbook G4 to a 1.6GHz single G5 and the difference was astounding, to say the least; even the single processor G5 tower left the Powerbook in the dust with pretty much all tasks. As you may know, much of the reason the G5 is so much faster than the G4 is the huge increase in front side bus.

I'd say at this point that the 2.0GHz model is a bit overkill for pretty much everything except working with large image files and video / animation work, but even if this is not what you'll be using it for, you've made a good choice, as this computer will hold its value and be able to run pretty much anything for years to come.

Enjoy! :)

6. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Just what I wanted to hear! Sounds like this will definetly speed up my rendering and be fast enough I can move from doing photoshop on my pc laptop to this (Canon 1d mkII).

Now if I can find a cataloging program I like as much as iMatch on the PC I will be all set.

7. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Good - glad I could make you smile :)

Yes, the G5 will rip through any kind of rendering work much faster than even the fastest G4.

In the meantime, good luck enduring the agony of waiting for it to arrive (although often the anticipation is the best part of it all...)

8. stevey500 macrumors 6502

crap.. this sucks! haha everyone is getting a G5 !! I have this g4 Digital/audio 1gb ram M-audio 5.1, 800mhz (overclocked) machine.. (with two vid cards at least:p and apple 17" LCD) but... it kinda suxx.. cause I got this G4 on ebay durring christmas not aware that the mac mini was gonna be released!!!!!!!! and i got this tower for $550!! oh man...................! lol but congratulations on your purchase.. and happy waiting, hehe

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

But a night and day like when you are in a movie theater and don't know that it becomes nighttime...
    :p

Its gonna blast through anything faster than you can blink.

(Disclaimer: "Faster than you can blink" tests done on various corpses and cadavers with full consent. All tasks were performed before the test subjects blink.)

10. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Partially Shipped

Woo,

My order status went to 'Partially Shipped' of course all the items on my order still say open. Knowing my luck, I'm sure my diplay will ship well before my G5. Won't that be great, nice big display with nothing to drive it.

Well, hopefully it's just FCE HD that hasn't shipped yet... guess I'll have to wait for them to update my order status page to see. I'm so excited, it's just like Christmas all over again.

Edit:

Well looks like the display and FCE HD shipped. Ha. Now I will get the software and the display Monday with no tower until at least Tuesday.

Since when does FedEx Overnight not deliver on Saturday? Hmmm.

11. alexf macrumors 6502a

alexf

Aah, the agony of waiting... :(

Keep us informed - I'd like to know how it turns out when you get it.

12. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Still Waiting...

Well,

The original ship date of 1 to 2 days slipped, which I was expecting it would. Now comes the kicker, they pushed it out one week and now that has went by and they pushed the ship date out another week... ARGH!

I don't know how Apple handles their refurbs but it seems screwy to me. I can see the big delays on a 'new' product, manufacturing delays, etc. But this has already been built and I would assume they would have already refurbished it before offering it for sale again. Or maybe I'm just bitter ;)

Well here's hoping it ships next week...

13. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

It Shipped!

Woo Hoo!

It finally shipped! All I had to do was get myself all ready to cancel and just buy a new one. Should be here Monday afternoon sometime. Might have to take a half day off of work!

Anyone have any tips or suggestions on stuff I need to do or buy for it? I've got a 20" Apple Cinema Display and an extra 2 gigs of ram. Might need some speakers, all I have are the little round ones that came with my iMac G4.

14. AdamZ macrumors regular

just so you know those iMac speakers will not work on your G5, they only work on the iMac unless you get this http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/ifire/ but it is $40, might want to put that toward a better pair though

15. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Any recommendations?

16. jadam macrumors 6502a

jadam

17. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Speakers

I ended up buying some Bose Companion 2 speakers for 99.00 at Best Buy. Really didn't want any subwoofers or such and these seem to match the color of my 20" acd pretty well, hope they sound okay.

I'm sure they will be at least as good as the apple pro speakers I have on my iMac G4 and that's all I'm really after.

18. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

:)

I got it today!! Now it's all setup, after driving around forever looking for a new f/w ext hard drive case, my powersupply on the old one died after I turned it off for probably the first time in 3 years. I was kind of mad since all my itunes and pictures are on that drive :) Oh well, all better now.

Man is this thing FAST and I have yet to really do anything but install some software. And I love the ACD, much bigger than my 15" iMac G4.

19. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update on the new computer :)

This thing rocks so much. I am so glad I didn't wait to get it, it is way more than I will need for some time to come. Especially since I now have upped the ram ro 4.5gb. Nice.

I also picked up Photoshop for myself, I had been using my copy from work on my work laptop. Boy photoshop is quite a bit quicker with two cpu's and tons of ram.

20. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

Good to hear mate. I'm still waiting for the much maligned updates. anywayz what are the Bose speakers like. Coz im interested in a set at the moment. Thanx

21. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, how much did you pay for your refurb Powermac and how long is the warranty?

22. leistnerm thread starter macrumors newbie

The Bose speakers are a nice upgrade from the ones that came with my iMac. No subwoofer, but that would just wake up the baby anyways... I'd say they were worth the $99 I paid for them, they don't look too bad next to the computer either.

I paid $2099.00 for the refurb, it has a full 1 year parts and labor/90 day phone support warrenty just like a new one and I can extend that to 3 years/3 years if I buy applecare.