iMac G4 major problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by benyaimin, May 9, 2006.

1. benyaimin macrumors member

My iMac G4 is acting really strange. It works for a while, then randomly has lines running along the screen or something of the sort. Then it has a kernel panic. I tryed reinstalling the system but nothing changed. I ran the Apple Hardware Test and it said that there is a problem with the video RAM. Can I fix this myself and/or how much would it cost to fix?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, if it is Video RAM it is on the motherboard and you're not gonna be able to do anythingyourself. A repair will be in the hundreds, certainly.

3. benyaimin thread starter macrumors member

Damn, that sucks. I think I'm gonna buy a new MacBook anyway when they come out.

4. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

You can if you're good at micro-soldering. But I don't suggest it.

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I read recently about eMac users having the exact same problem. It's not hard to imagine that similar or the same components were used. You should check with that group of people to see if any other iMac users have joined their cause. It appears from their complaints there is a widespread problem among eMac users. When I have had Mac hardware probllems it has always been with the logic board--on two iBook G3s and a Performa 5200.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Heh, I have a do-it-yourself trepanning kit too, but I don't think I'll tackle that, either.

7. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

I've come so close to messing with micro soldering, then thought better of it. I will mess with it one of these days, probably after I've quit smoking and cut down on booze/coffee (my hands shake a little too much for it right now ;) ). I was thinking of grabbing an old comp off Craigslist Free pages and messing around with it on that, I might still do that one of these days. But, as I often forget, I have a job and stuff...

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Possible to buy a mini?

You can't fix that unless you replace the logic board. :(