iMac G4 optical drive issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by axboi87, Nov 29, 2006.

1. axboi87 macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2006
    Dallas, Tx
    Ok so about a year and a half after this computer was bought, the cd burner burnt up on me. There was a smoky hole in the drives main board. I replaced it with a combo drive i found on ebay that has been working flawlessly up until about a week ago. It reads some cd's fine, but every now and then it'll be reading a disc and the drive will make an odd noise and spin down. The cd will then unmount and remount and mac os will give me that error it gives you if you unplug a memory stick or external floppy without ejecting it first. Trying to burn something is a whole different story. This happens with Toast, The Finder, Disk utility and iTunes. When i hit burn, the drive spins up, then all of a sudden spins down. The computer freezes and my mouse cursor dissapears. This remains unchanged and permanent (i tried being patient and left it overnight once) and once the system is restarted, it recognizes it as a completely blank disc, which means it didn't even get one tiny bit of data onto the disc. Is it just going out? I've been wanting to buy a used superdrive for it, what's the max burn speed you think i could get out of a superdrive with a 700mhz g4?
  2. The Analog Kid macrumors newbie

Nov 29, 2006
    Damn unreliable people! Who will curse at your mouse now? :confused:
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    As fast as you want. You're not going to fully saturate the ATA-5 (66) bus with just a Super Drive.