Imac G4 or Imac G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ahgang, Oct 30, 2004.

1. ahgang macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2004
    I love the G4 design over the G5, but looking at the specs, the new g5 looks like a better buy. I'm confused if there is really any need to bump up to a G5. I do surfing, movies, music, email, some photo editing and school assignments.
  2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Buy the G5, you'll outgrown the G4 way too fast.

If you want to keep the machine around and you already have a computer and the monitor, consider the current Single Processor 1.8GHz PowerMac G5 -- it's basically a headless-iMac in a PowerMac case.

However, with the new iMac G5 design -- it's easier to upgrade quite a bit of the stuff that was a PIA in the iMac G4 -- HD, optical drive, memory, etc. (though the CPU and the video chip are still soldered in and not upgradeable on the new iMac.)

Of course the SP 1.8 PM has an AGP slot, 2 extra dimm slots, drive bays and PCI slot -- at the expense of the LCD display. But it is a decent trade-off for some.
  3. combatcolin macrumors 68020

Oct 24, 2004
    Northants, UK
    Try the Apple Refurb site an get a Dualie, excellent power/price performance.
  4. dav macrumors 6502

Jun 29, 2004
    Everyone recommends powermacs... It is NOT necesary for what you are doing. Go for the iMac G5
  5. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    It all depends on what you will do and whats your buget. If you can say what you will be doing and how much you want to spend, without that there is no good advice.
  6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    All we can say is get the...

iMac G5

SP 1.8 PM which is a Headless iMac G5 stuffed in a PM case
  7. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    Exactly, so it comes down to how much expansion is important to you, and how much the iMacs screen matters.
  8. OziMac macrumors 6502

Oct 24, 2003
    Depends on how much money you want to spend really - I do both of those things on my iMac G5 and my Cube (in different locations), but I would only do serious video editing and image rendering on the G5 (which itself is not really that serious when compared to a Powermac dualie).

I think that in your situation, if the price difference is less than a couple of hundred dollars, then get the G5 because it will last longer. But a better deal on the G4 is not something to pass up either.