iMac G4 or Mac Mini as media server

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Oct 22, 2006.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

I need to get something to hold all my media because i just have too much stuff to keep on my MacBook. I have always loved the design of the iMac G4s , but the mini isnt so bad itself.

My main need is for it to just be the hub for my external drives, and for it to be accesible from my MacBook. But i would also like ot be able to connect the new computer to my HDTV. The adavantage i see in the Mac Mini is that i can directly connect to the TV through DVI, thus producing better picture and the smaller form factor. But i like the idea of having the iMac because then i could use its display as the main screen when just using iTunes.

Another advantage for the Mac Mini is that i will be stuck in a dorm soon, so the mini's small form factor would be quite useful.

So what do you think iMac G4 (and possibly then iTV), or get a Mac Mini?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You can also connect the iMac via a miniDVI->DVI adapter. I have a mini connected to my HDTV, as opposed to my iMac, because the iMac screen would be distracting while watching TV.

However, either system will do what you want (but the mini's cheaper and less obtrusive).

3. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

Well i would have differnet set ups for each computer. The iMac would be in a bar desktop that i have that is not too far from the tv, so that wiring would be easy. But the Mini could be included directly into my Tv setup.

But correct me if i'm wrong, i thought that G4 iMac's only had Mini-VGA outputs.

4. tderemigis thread starter macrumors member

just another thought.

what about and old PM G4?

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that I would go with a Mac Mini if I was you. :)

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

An old G4 wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I'm using a 500Mhz G4 right now as a file server, the main advantage being that it can hold the five hard drives I have in there (I moved it to a PC case for more room, though). The only down side is that it will take a lot more room than a Mac Mini. You could, of course, always just get a Ministack for the Mini if you needed more storage, and save a lot of space over the G4.