iMac G4 or mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by roglisk, Aug 29, 2005.

1. roglisk macrumors newbie

I have two machines that I am considering purchasing.

iMac G4 800mhz 15'
    512 RAM
    80 Gig Hard drive

Mac mini 1.25
    512 RAM
    40 Gig Hard Drive

I already have a pretty decent monitor (crt, though) but like the look of the iMac.

I only use the computer for email/music/web and such so I wouldn't need a power horse.

They are both priced about the same. The iMac is 489.00 and the mini is 445.00.

Would I notice a speed difference between the 800 and 1.25? Considering the iMac is going on three years old now it would seem the obvious choice would be the mini but I keep going back to the iMac.

Any ideas?

In case anyone else wanted the imac deal here is an ebay link. He is selling 30 of them at this price with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5803381098&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

2. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

if the imac has zero dead pixels, then go for it. mini mac would be the safe choice...

3. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

I would go with the Mini any day.
    The mini will be way faster in just about everything.
    If you want to save a couple of $$ you can also buy a refurbished Mini from Apples special sales section :D

4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I think 15" screens are unacceptable in today's computer world. Go the mini, save up latter for at least a 17". Well that's just my opinion.

5. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Also I just looked at the item description and it says it is a 700 mhz iMac
    and not an 800 mhz unit.
    I have both the iMac and Mini and the Mini flies past the iMac like you would not believe.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I've used both, and the mini is faster than the iMac (17" ones, though) and if you're planning on transferring a lot of sound/media files the iMac is only USB1.1 and it drags it's butt in comparison to USB2.0 as in the mini. I love the look of the G4 iMacs (think apple was stupid to change designs, side rant) but the 15" is a small screen, and it is kind of old and slow. If you really don't care about speed and don't want to use your CRT or buy a LCD then I'd say the iMac. Also, as soon as you buy a computer it's out of date, so even if the mini is much better, right now, it too will fall off, quite quickly.
    Bottom line iMac = sweet package | small screen, slow
    mini = fast | need other hardware
    Decide what you want/need

8. Eluon macrumors regular

Specs?

The iMac you showed us the link for has less power than you stated. I see on the site it as only as 40 gigs and 256mb ram. That would barely move. Especially when comparing it to the mini. I would DEF go with the mini. 512 and a bigger hard drive.

Curtis

9. roglisk thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I noticed that this morning when I woke up. It was pretty late when I posted last night. Glad I didn't go ahead and get it.

Thanks for the suggestions! I knew that the mini was the obvious choice but the iMac are just so damned pretty. :p

I have had my old g4 sawtooth 450 forever so really anything would be an improvement.