Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
So I bought an iMac G4 a few weeks ago and decided to upgrade the ram in it. Since desktop memory is a bit less expensive than laptop memory I decided to upgrade the internal ram directly on the motherboard. I took out the iMac's original 256mb stick and put in the new 512mb stick, its PNY if it makes nay difference and yes its the right sort: PC133. So the problem is that when I started it up again about this mac and the system profiler still say my iMac has 256mb of ram. Is this just because the internal ram isn't meant to be upgraded so it doesn't change, or is there something wrong with the ram I installed? And I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid, but it feels like its a bit slower than before, even after reinstalling Tiger.
Anyone know anything about this?

Specs: 700mhz, 40gb hard drive, DVD drive, 15" screen, supposed to be 512mb ram

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sounds like you bought a high density stick. PPC Macs only take low density sticks of ram. If you put in a high density stick, it'll only see half of it.

AtmChm

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2010
WI
Also, you don't have to take out the 256 MB stick. You can just leave that in. You should then see 512 in the profiler.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
Sounds like you bought a high density stick. PPC Macs only take low density sticks of ram. If you put in a high density stick, it'll only see half of it.

Alright, thanks that was the issue, guess I'll just return it then.

tom vilsack

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
ladner cdn
ps: when you put back togeather did you rem to clean and reapply thermal paste to both ends of long medal heatsinks?

http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imac_g4/imacg4_takeapart.html

7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.