iMac G4 Restore CD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spock, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have installed a new Hard disk into my iMac G4, I installed a fresh copy of Tiger but when I tried to use the iMac CD to restore the factory software it now says its not the right kind of computer for the CD's is their a way around this?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can you just manually grab the installer packages necessary using Pacifist? This shouldn't be too much of a problem considering you're not trying to install the system. :)

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

For some reason that has yet to be explained, incorrect software installation disks were included with some 15" 1ghz iMac G4s (is this the machine you have?). My mother had this issue with her machine, and I did as well when I bought mine used. I've talked with a Genius about this issue and he told me that he saw this issue before, but couldn't explain how it happened.

It's possible to install OS X, but the additional applications cannot be installed. Instead, the error message you describe is what you get. You can install the additional applications directly from the hidden .dmg files, but you must make certain that the included support files for some of the applications are installed in their proper locations in the Library folder. It's not difficult to do this as the support files are already nested into folders within the .dmg files that will match the nested folders in your Library folder. Simply take note of their locations in the .dmg files and drag them into their respective locations in the Library folder.

You can open the hidden .dmg files by searching on your install disk for hidden files containing ".dmg" in the name.