Imac G4 Rev B? When?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by thebt, Feb 16, 2002.

1. thebt macrumors member

I like the new iMac! But I'm not sure if I would buy it now or wait for the next rev?
    Because the first rev of a new product isnt always that good?

Is anyone having problems with the new imacs? (because its a rev A)

And could it be that apple will announce a rev B imac at MWNY? Or later?

Because I can still wait another few months... but is it worth to wait... :confused:

Any thoughts?

2. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

I doubt rev B at MWNY

there prolly wont be any revisions of the new imac until the fall, if that. maybe even MWSF03? However, if you wait until the summer maybe there will be a revision, but a rev a of the imac isnt so bad because it uses already existing chips that are far from the rev a G4's. If you need a new computer get it now. otherwise wait and see what happens.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Rev. B. no sooner than Fall. I think July is too soon for a revision on a computer that's still in the process of shipping to people that ordered within the first week of their existence.

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

wait a minute slow down
    most people like me havent got the rev a imac yet
    and their doesn'y seem to be a problem with this one
    (let me know if there is)
    but S L O W D O W N

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Imac G4 Rev B? When?

iMac revision will not be at MacWorld NY. (common sense)

You might get speed bumps next year, but I don't expect major revision for a while... (my opinion)

arn

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

7. thebt thread starter macrumors member

NO, it's not that I'm not satisfied, the new imacs are awesome!

But I think (if I remember it ;) ) that the the first (old) imacs, so the rev A, where not that good? The rev B was much better, or am I wrong?

Isn't it known that with a very new product, there are always some minor problems?

Of course, most of the parts in the imac exist in the G4 towers too, but not all?!

And what about the iPod? The rev B will be much better (so cheaper) :)

8. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

I think the G4 iMac is pretty near perfect.

Ensign

9. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

it took two years to make so I think
    apple made it to perfection (I hope)

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

I will agree with perfection as soon as they figure out how to make a slot-loading superdrive and a 17" monitor. :D

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

The difference between the rev A and rev B iMac were practically nonexistant. The only change they made was to put a slightly better video card with 4 more megs of vram in it, and it came with OS 8.5. In fact there were no major changes to the iMac line until the slot loaders came out.

I'm sure there will be minor problems with the new iMacs, but every time they make a revision you face the same problem.

And who said the next iPod will be "so much better" no one knows anything about it. Could be all they do is put a bigger hard drive in it, and there is nothing suggesting it will get cheaper anytime soon.

You can argue this stuff every time you want to buy a computer. If you wait and buy, somethign better will be coming out in a matter of months for less money. If you need a computer now, but it. If it suits your needs now, don't look back. My rev A iMac still suits me just fine.

12. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

13. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

No it didn't. That was the rev C 266 that came in new colors. Rev A and B were both only available in bondi blue.

14. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

All of you are something

There are things that can be fix in a computer without making them a revision of some kind.

The iMac may have some small problem some where, may be is a screw or some tiny litle something inside, may be Apple just replace that litle piece of metal or plastic but it doen't mean is a revision, is version # 1.01 of the iMac (just to give an example).

May be the harm on the first 500.000 iMacs was to tight, if they fix that and make it more easy to hadle it is not consider a revision. It doesn't envolve the ammount of features.

That is the kind of revision you are talking about and is a kind of revision that can be changed during the production process.

15. thebt thread starter macrumors member

Just to say that I ordered the new top iMac with 1GB of RAM via the apple store! I think this one will rock!

I dont think its was worth to wait another 9 months or so!

And this imac will replace my 6500/300, was about time ;)

Ok, I also have a G4 450*2, now I suppose the new imac will be faster or not? And in OSX? Because my tower has two G4's? So, if I count... 2x450 is equal to 900!? This iso the 800 for the imac?

Are there already any benchmarks for the imac G4's?
    So I can compare it with my other mac?

With 'AltiVec Fractal Carbon' I get around 3100 MegaFlops, how much does the new imac get? Anyone tested it already?

16. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Xapplimatic

What's faster?

I think your new iMac 800 will be faster overall than the DP 450 PowerMac.. Not only because of the better video (unless you've upgraded your video card on the tower), but because the clockspeed is nearly twice as high, and it will do a great service to all programs and not just the ones which can multi-thread to use dual processors.. Note that a dual 500 is not exactly twice as fast as a single 500.. it just depends on what task you're working on and what applications.. some things can use dual processors and they get just under twice the speed, other things will benefit from the CPU assigning multiple programs to seperate processors.. but for example if your only task was one application and it was doing a single repetitive task, I believe the iMac would roast the dual 450 because some things just can't be split up onto two processors.