iMac G4 screen

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tek, Jun 27, 2005.

1. tek macrumors regular

Right, here's the story..

Over the past year, my 700Mhz/G4/GF2MX/iMac (3 years old)'s display has degraded.. a lot...

This first started happening a few months after warranty (as it always does).

Can anyone give any advice as to what could possibly be wrong? I got some hex drivers and opened up the back of the display and found nothing obviously wrong - no loose connections etc.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

If there is absolutely no way of fixing this (which would make me sad), is there any way to just turn off; disconnect the LCD panel, so I can run just to an external monitor and not waste power powering it (and also run at higher resolutions than 1024x768 on the external monitor).

Here is an photo i took to show just how bad it's got.
    [​IMG]Thumbnail

Thanks

2. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

nasty... Unfortnately my imac g4's screen just died the other day as well. However, it is fixable, but i can't remember the cost right now. It only took a week to repair, so it IS fixable... I'll fill you in on the price once i find it out.

3. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

4. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I'm almost positive it was just a screen replacement, but again I can't remember completely.

5. tek thread starter macrumors regular

If the logic board was bad, why would the picture be absolutely fine through the mirroring port? Which is fed off the same GPU?

6. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

screen probs

For anyone reading Teks screen problem my advice would be in order to prevent this problem occuring simply use energy saver in system prefs. My computer and screen are the same and as old as Teks but thanks to energy saver I have had no problems in 3 years

7. tangerineyum macrumors 6502

so if we dont use the energy saver, our lcds will get mad and cease to work anymore? :rolleyes:

I think its the logic board.

8. Passante macrumors 6502a

Passante

Tek

Sorry about your screen

That is what has always concerned me with the all-in-one design. I prefer a tower with a separate monitor.

9. tek thread starter macrumors regular

I'm wondering whether it could be the cable inside?

It didn't happen suddenly, it happened over a period of about 3 weeks.

Right now it has about 5 minutes of ghosting in the area that works. You open something fullscreen and it eventually shows up in its blurred, washed-out version after about 5-10mins... thank god it works with an external monitor.

Is there any way I can get the thing to work with my 19" monitor at a higher resolution than the LCD can support (1024x768)? That would be really useful. Or just disabling the LCD totally in firmware and setting mirroring to the primary port?

10. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

It looks like maybe the signal cable got pinched or something like that. I don't think there's anything wrong with the display. If you have an Apple Store near by, I'd just have them look at it and see what they think. If it does require changing a logicboard, then maybe consider getting rid of it and buying a MacMini. You'll get twice the performance for the probably slightly more than the amount of a new iMac G4 logicboard/labor.

11. tek thread starter macrumors regular

My budget for fixing this is basically zero, sadly.

Is there any way I can tell whether the signal cable is bad?

12. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I can't remember if iMac G4s have external screen connectors or not... probably not but anyway, if you're feeling adventurous, you could possibly battle with the shell and dismantle it a bit, find where the screen plugs into and see if there's any way to plug another monitor into it.
    I've taken apart my old iMac G3 and you can unplug the screen inside and with use of a small adapter that's dirt cheap it was able to plug in a standard vga screen. I'm not sure about other screen resolutions but I'm sure there will be some tweaks out there.